1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    hardcore on the bunnyhill

bearing vs. bushing

This isn't really a question of which is better, it's more of what is the difference? Okay, you can quit laughing at me now, but I am quite mechanically stupid (city boy) and don't really know what the difference is between a bushing and a bearing. I have a Giant NRS and I think I read that it has bushings in the rear suspension. Any help or could someone refer me to a good site that explains this kind of junk to me? Thanks!
    Mr.Burns: Quick Smithers, bring me the mind eraser device!
    Smithers: You mean the revolver, sir?
    Mr.Burns: Precisely.

mtbr member
    Generally speaking, a bushing is a soft metal or plastic one piece part designed to keep a harder pin, shaft, or what have you, aligned while allowing free movement. The bushing wears out and is replaced as needed. A bearing is usually a three piece part consisting of an inner race, an outer race, and balls or rollers in between. Properly applied, bearings provide better alignment, less friction, and last longer.
    I'm not broke but you can see the cracks.

Rick’s Law Of Biking...
    At least two uphills are required for every downhill.

Truth...
    I work to survive, I play to live.

Mind, Body, Spirit...,which one is keeping you from getting better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster
    Properly applied, bearings provide better alignment, less friction, and last longer.
    I would have to disagree. Ever see a car suspension with ball bearings? Bushings are more approprate for high impact, low speed joints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually the reason they're used in cars is that they're cheaper to replace and fulfill the function just fine. Not to mention the fact that the bearings on bikes aren't subjected to the types forces the bushings on a car are subjected to.

pain don't hurt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    I would have to disagree. Ever see a car suspension with ball bearings? Bushings are more approprate for high impact, low speed joints.
    like a bottom bracket or headset?

bushings are used on bikes because they're lighter and cheaper than bearings

ride hard take risks
    Bushings & needle bearings can handle loads especially laterall loads. Much more stability. A ball bearing allows flex with a laterall load like hard cornering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    Ever see a formula car with bushings?