1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

BB7s vs cheaper hydros

I replaced my bb7s with a pair of bengal helix 3 hydraulics. I have trouble adjusting the rear caliber as there are no adjustment bolts. Whatever I do I cannot avoid the rotor touching. Its so bad I am thinking to go back on bb7s. Any thoughts? Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are shims to space the caliper,check your LBS.

mtbr member
    With hydraulics all you should really need to do is, loosen caliper bolts, clamp down hard on the brake lever and hold, then tighten caliper bolts.

mtbr member
    Sometimes you need to remove the pads and advance the caliper pistons a little. Clean and lube the pistons with rubber grease. Push then back in with a plastic tire lever. Replace pads. Then center caliper as stated. This is a common with Avid pads. Lots of threads on it.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    I replaced my bb7s with a pair of bengal helix 3 hydraulics. I have trouble adjusting the rear caliber as there are no adjustment bolts. Whatever I do I cannot avoid the rotor touching. Its so bad I am thinking to go back on bb7s. Any thoughts? Thx
    Just curious as to why you switched from the BB7's?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

B42
    mtbr member

BB7s vs cheaper hydros

Not the OP, but I switched to hydros from cable because I ride in rain and mud a lot. Could never keep the cable clean and the pull strength required would go from light touch to hand cramp in just a few rides. I was tired to replacing cables/sleeves. Don't have to do anything with the hydros.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Is the angle off or is it rubbing on 1 side?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    common with hydro brake calipers if new or installing new pads. pistons have to be reset or pushed back. levers may have been pressed without anything in between the pistons or pistons are all the way out from thin/used-up pads.