1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: BB question

mtbr member

BB question

I think my BB may be going out on my 08 Jamis Komodo 1. I have some poping and creeking that I can feel in the pedals when I am in the power stroke. At first I could only feel it when I was about 45 degrees past TDC but now I am feeling it a little earlier and also at the bottom of the stroke. At the same time I do not have any play in my cranks no matter what way or how hard I try to twist and pull on them.

That being said, if it is my BB, I am looking for a suitable replacement. I was thinking of the Shimano UN55. I am currently running the stock TH Powerdrive, sealed
    cartridge, 73 x 113, from FSA. Any thoughts?

While trying to look up some reviews on the UN55 I came across a old forum discussing ISIS, square tapered, BBs. It basically said that while they have thier place they are not very strong unless you shell out some big bucks for the high quality stuff. Well, I don' thave big bucks. Should I change out my BB to a different style all together? One that is more modern and stought? If so what crank and BB combo do you recommend?

Edit: Just realized the UN55 won't work as my crankset is not a square taper. It is the splined one. Is that the ISIS spindle?

mtbr member
    Also check your pedal bearings to see if they're worn or dry.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Raceface, SRAM, Shimano (upper end)...the list is quite long. I have been looking at Raceface, and their stuff seems top notch. I'd look at what they have, and see if you have the cash for it. SRAM would be my next suggestion, and Shimano would be my last, since I have had trouble with multiple BB systems from them. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    could it be pivot points or are you running a hard tail?

mtbr member
    I am running a hardtail. I took the pedals apart and it turns out they are the problem. Not enough grease from factory and my left pedal's races are gouged. I am looking at the Wellgo B54s as the replacement. I like the way they look an the fact that there are two traction pegs near where the ball of my feet will be.