1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

BB/Crank Question

Ok I need a new BB and thought I'd get a new crank set as well. What does ISIS mean?

I have a Truvativ BB and an FSA Alpha drive crank--both lower end parts but wore out in a year? Crappy of you ask me.

There's no app for this.

ISIS is the god of

ISIS bottom bracket spindles feature a 10-flute spline, one-degree tapers and 16mm long splined ends. Increased crank/spindle interface spreads loads over a wider surface area. One-degree tapers provide a creak-free tolerance fit. The stop shoulder design prevents distortion to the crank arm socket from repeated removal/installation. Oversized bolts prevent loosening or creaking. ISIS bottom brackets will only fit ISIS splined cranks.

Jim

mtbr member
    If you ride a lot, especially in wet muddy conditions, it's not too uncommon to wear out a bb in a year. But it is a bit quick. Is there actual play in the spindle or is it just making noise? A lot of times you can just remove it, clean and grease the threads, and reinstall and the noise will stop.

As for the crank, is the crank itself worn out (I've never heard of that happening before) or are the chainrings worn out. You can probably just replace the rings for le$$.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The BB is` worn. It is not completely dead yet. I had it seviced and the creaking went away but he said it won't hold up too much longer. My crank set is ok. Im looking into the FSA afterburner set because of the sealed bearings. That would help. We have alot of mud here.