1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Baskets....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Baskets....

Can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone have suggestions on either a DIY decent looking basket that can be added to a MTB for temporary occasional usage?

I brew my own beer and live 2.67 mi from my LHBS and could transport a decent amount of grain for a batch.... additionally and probably something that will be more frequent would be my dogs.

Having lost some 40 Lbs hiking and walking the dogs, my reward was a nice bike. I've taken it out and am enjoying it but my dogs howl and go nuts when I'm out and the wife has had it up to her ears. Sooo..

To give her a break and not have to always walk for 3 hours with the dogs I thought a basket and an easy ride on some of the flat and or tame bike trails. I don't want the weight going up the hills. This would also allow me to ride with them and the wife out at the beach or lake side.

My dogs and I are very close....

I am looking for temporary on off like basket setup for my Giant 27.5 Talon and 2 small dogs.

So any suggestions?
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    Rivendell Bicycle Works site. They love baskets over there. Should have a rack, basket and mounting system that'll work for ya. I think the one they like the best is a USA made product, if that has any value to you.

Wald Wire Basket
    Last edited by veloborealis; 11-17-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
    The older I get the better I was...

Redcoat

Baskets....

Make sure you get a bow on it and you whistle like a carefree person as you ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Might want to check out trailers too - you could set up a BoB trailer or even a kid trailer as a pretty sweet dog-hauler. Be a lot safer for the mutts I'd think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Let the dogs walk or trot as you ride. I've seen lots of MTBers accompanied by dogs. Just make sure you have water for them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Let the dogs walk or trot as you ride. I've seen lots of MTBers accompanied by dogs. Just make sure you have water for them.
    2 dogs tiny enough to fit in a bike basket together are way too small to ride along with for more than a very short distancem, and you'd have to practically crawl the whole time.

Could always do a rack and grocery pannier with a little customization...

Grocery Bag Pannier | Banjo Brothers

squish, squish in da fish
    IDK i'd go with a trailer. one dog per pannier? that's classic

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    Kinda what I'm picturing. Just the heads sticking out, with doggles strapped on 'em. Possibly small leather helmets.

You could run just one side also if they'd rather hang out together, depending how small they are of course. Those grocery set-ups are cheap enough that I wouldn't feel too bad maybe hacking one up a little and adding some mesh sides and top, could do a few mods and cushion the bottom up pretty good...I could see it working. Only if there's doggles involved somehow though.

Baskets....-doggles-dog-goggles-1.jpg

Cycle Psycho
    Hi, I saw this "basket/bag" thing and the first thing I thought was how perfect it would be for hauling a small dog in front of you. It's large, so would fit two small dawgs perfectly. It's super-fast on/off, but it doesn't look like your traditional basket. Here:

Name:  50793.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  17.7 KB

It quick-clips onto the rack, but you could even cinch the drawstring around a dog's neck when it's cold, and just have his little head pop out the top. It looks padded, large, and comfortable to me.

Requires something like the this front rack, which would be very secure and stable:

Name:  51258.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  20.6 KB

If you want a more traditional basket style, they make one with the same quick-attach-system (it just LOOKS kind of weak (structurally) to me though. Like the mesh sides would deform/bend really easily - it also looks less comfortable for dogs, but you could put a soft padding along its bottom or something):

Baskets....-50797.jpg

RACKTIME is a division of ORTLIEB, and their stuff is really nice, but much less expensive. Not as waterproof, but innovative and slick.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Might want to check out trailers too - you could set up a BoB trailer or even a kid trailer as a pretty sweet dog-hauler. Be a lot safer for the mutts I'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    I too would suggest the trailer option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    Make sure you get a bow on it and you whistle like a carefree person as you ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with baskets. I wouldn't put one on my mtb but they are very common on beach cruisers where I live to carry groceries, towels, beer, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    I use a 20oz bottle crates that are all around gas stations. low enough to clear the seat and big enough to carry a decent sized load. Dunno bout dogs though. lol

Name:  9218115409_a18d7c2edf.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  155.9 KB

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    I use a 20oz bottle crates that are all around gas stations. low enough to clear the seat and big enough to carry a decent sized load. Dunno bout dogs though. lol

Name:  9218115409_a18d7c2edf.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  155.9 KB
    There it is.. Functionality at it's best. Throw a milk crate on the handle bars and you got yourself a grocery runner. Seriously though, baskets and carriers are cool when used/needed.
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

The Wiking
    i would like one of these, but cant afford it at the moment!

Bike Porter Copenhagen Parts
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Radon View Post
    i would like one of these, but cant afford it at the moment!

Bike Porter Copenhagen Parts
    Pretty slick design. My wife's basket on her beach cruiser detaches so she can pull it off and use it as a carry basket in a store etc. or ride without it on there if she isn't carrying anything.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I hope they are really small dogs. Kinda small dogs can fill a bike basket up pretty quickly. The unfortunate part about about having them in a basket on the front of the bike is that they put the CG up fairly high and make the bike a bit harder to handle, especially if the dog(s) get restless. Two dogs in a basket only compounds the issue if they get rev'd up.

As a rider that has ridden with a dog in a basket on the front of a bike, on the back of a bike, and in a trailer, I will also suggest that you go with a trailer instead.

mtbr member
    I use a harness and have my pup pull me up the hills.