Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide

305K views 637 replies 567 participants last post by  Rency 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cleaning and Maintenance Photo Guide

"The Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide has been updated and can now be found in the MTBR Pro Review 'How To' section, just follow this link. Please note that comments have been disabled on the guide itself, but please feel free to post your comments and/or criticisms at the end of this thread."

#105 ·
this is all great information for everbody. I just purchased the bike and on the second or third ride, I rode in some very extreme conditions with my last bike, crossed several deep streams and afterwords merely washed the bike with water. I witnessed my bike age one year overnight, all because I didn't maintain it properly after the ride. the bike did not shift as well, the brake pads dissolved during the ride. The water trapped in the calipers caused the pistons to fuse by electrolisis into the caliper body.

I had to take the bike in the the shop twice to correct the brakes and get the shifting corrected. They did a complete overhaul, taking out all moving parts to clean and lube them. I hope I learned my lesson.:madman:

#108 ·
Great work. This must've took some time Thanks for the effort.

P.S. "I could have gone into much more detail but felt that I needed to strike a balance of information and keep coverage simple." Are you kidding??? This is the most detailed bike maintenance guide I've ever seen!

#114 · (Edited)
Great guide! Lots of useful information.

Here's a good tip: Kerosene works great as a chain cleaner.
I've been using it for years to clean motorcycle and bicycle chains.
Safe for all bicycle chains and all motorcycle standard roller, o-ring and x-ring chains.
Simply take the chain off of the bicycle, drop it in a container with kerosene, let it soak, swish it around a bit, take it out to inspect it, use a brush on it if needed for any stubborn build up, grab the air compressor hose and blast the chain dry before lubing and reinstalling on the bicycle.
Quick and easy:)
Chainsaw bar & chain oil or motorcycle standard roller chain spray foam works great on bicycle chains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.