1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Cute as a Button
    Feb 2004
    Absolutely write a book, and include your own photography. In fact, just send what you've got there to a book agent or publisher and see if their interested in having you write the whole book first because they'll guide you through the process and probably pay you some amount in advance.

Virtually every book on bicycle maintainence I've ever picked up had horrible photography, where you really couldn't tell what the technician was doing--typically too close-up--but yours are very clear.

...idios...
    Thanks very much Sprocketeer. The Basic Cleaning and Maintenance is currently being, well, cleaned and maintained, so at some point in the next week or so it will have been considerably revised and updated. There'll be more pictures, many of which will be linked to a larger version for even clearer viewing, and also more detail in the text.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    this write up is fabulous!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I actually enjoyed this. I am trying to make sure I get everything done right to maintain my bike as long as possible. Just bought my first bike on friday and it has been a pleasurable two days.
    A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
    Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    this is all great information for everbody. I just purchased the bike and on the second or third ride, I rode in some very extreme conditions with my last bike, crossed several deep streams and afterwords merely washed the bike with water. I witnessed my bike age one year overnight, all because I didn't maintain it properly after the ride. the bike did not shift as well, the brake pads dissolved during the ride. The water trapped in the calipers caused the pistons to fuse by electrolisis into the caliper body.

I had to take the bike in the the shop twice to correct the brakes and get the shifting corrected. They did a complete overhaul, taking out all moving parts to clean and lube them. I hope I learned my lesson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This guide is really useful for me, I'll definitely be coming back to it.

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    outstanding post. This is really helpfull to thoose of us newer to the game of Mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great work. This must've took some time Thanks for the effort.

P.S. "I could have gone into much more detail but felt that I needed to strike a balance of information and keep coverage simple." Are you kidding??? This is the most detailed bike maintenance guide I've ever seen!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks for taking the time to make that. It was very helpful

...idios...
    Overhaul done!! The new and improved Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide can be found by following this link.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 03-14-2008 at 04:28 AM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks very much!
    def useful...
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow, sweet guide. Definitely going to be used in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow!...I read the whole thing...nice work!

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Great guide! Lots of useful information.

Here's a good tip: Kerosene works great as a chain cleaner.
    I've been using it for years to clean motorcycle and bicycle chains.
    Safe for all bicycle chains and all motorcycle standard roller, o-ring and x-ring chains.
    Simply take the chain off of the bicycle, drop it in a container with kerosene, let it soak, swish it around a bit, take it out to inspect it, use a brush on it if needed for any stubborn build up, grab the air compressor hose and blast the chain dry before lubing and reinstalling on the bicycle.
    Quick and easy
    Chainsaw bar & chain oil or motorcycle standard roller chain spray foam works great on bicycle chains.
    Last edited by KevinBicycle; 04-05-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Commuter/SS/XC Rider
    Very well done. This is helpful.
    Anyone can be complicated but it takes wisdom and a conscious effort to achieve simplicity.

banned
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Dear, Good Job

mtbr member
    Great stuff, ......Steve....!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    very informative i'd say.
    just let me add this, for cleaning the engine externally, brush it with kerosene and wipe it dry with a clean rag.
    Keep it up,more and more of us are learning from these tips

...idios...
    "just let me add this, for cleaning the engine externally, brush it with kerosene and wipe it dry with a clean rag."

The engine?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

No Knuckle Crew
    Thanks for the info!

29er Club Member
    Thank you for this thread, and this post. Great info and thank you for the time in posting this and the right up...
    The following post may ruffle your feathers. If it does… You may need to take yourself less seriously!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cleening home alone

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just bought my GF Big Sur. Like every other bike I buy or find, I clean and tune, clean and tune! I will check out the link, as I'm sure there is something that will be learned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrain
    well, tires should be worn out before any type of "sun damage" gets to them. and armor all on your seat? er.. no.. methinks that would be a wee bit too slickery.
    you seen the sun in Arizona?
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast