• 10-31-2007
    Sprocketeer
    Absolutely write a book, and include your own photography. In fact, just send what you've got there to a book agent or publisher and see if their interested in having you write the whole book first because they'll guide you through the process and probably pay you some amount in advance.

Virtually every book on bicycle maintainence I've ever picked up had horrible photography, where you really couldn't tell what the technician was doing--typically too close-up--but yours are very clear.
  • 10-31-2007
    SteveUK
    Thanks very much Sprocketeer. The Basic Cleaning and Maintenance is currently being, well, cleaned and maintained, so at some point in the next week or so it will have been considerably revised and updated. There'll be more pictures, many of which will be linked to a larger version for even clearer viewing, and also more detail in the text.
  • 11-01-2007
    rjdevo9mr
    this write up is fabulous!
  • 11-17-2007
    eclane78
    I actually enjoyed this. I am trying to make sure I get everything done right to maintain my bike as long as possible. Just bought my first bike on friday and it has been a pleasurable two days.
  • 12-07-2007
    nagatahawk
    this is all great information for everbody. I just purchased the bike and on the second or third ride, I rode in some very extreme conditions with my last bike, crossed several deep streams and afterwords merely washed the bike with water. I witnessed my bike age one year overnight, all because I didn't maintain it properly after the ride. the bike did not shift as well, the brake pads dissolved during the ride. The water trapped in the calipers caused the pistons to fuse by electrolisis into the caliper body.

I had to take the bike in the the shop twice to correct the brakes and get the shifting corrected. They did a complete overhaul, taking out all moving parts to clean and lube them. I hope I learned my lesson.:madman:
  • 01-02-2008
    Five
    This guide is really useful for me, I'll definitely be coming back to it.
  • 01-13-2008
    MTBgreatfalls
    outstanding post. This is really helpfull to thoose of us newer to the game of Mountain bikes.
  • 01-27-2008
    dj_dejan
    Great work. This must've took some time Thanks for the effort.

P.S. "I could have gone into much more detail but felt that I needed to strike a balance of information and keep coverage simple." Are you kidding??? This is the most detailed bike maintenance guide I've ever seen!
  • 02-03-2008
    Lamborghini
    thanks for taking the time to make that. It was very helpful:thumbsup:
  • 02-26-2008
    SteveUK
    Overhaul done!! The new and improved Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide can be found by following this link.
  • 03-04-2008
    zephyr11
    thanks very much!
    def useful...
  • 03-06-2008
    Domster
    Wow, sweet guide. Definitely going to be used in a few weeks.
  • 03-09-2008
    jdrogo
    Wow!...I read the whole thing...nice work!
  • 03-27-2008
    KevinBicycle
    Great guide! Lots of useful information.

Here's a good tip: <B>Kerosene works great as a chain cleaner.</B>
    I've been using it for years to clean motorcycle and bicycle chains.
    Safe for all bicycle chains and all motorcycle standard roller, o-ring and x-ring chains.
    Simply take the chain off of the bicycle, drop it in a container with kerosene, let it soak, swish it around a bit, take it out to inspect it, use a brush on it if needed for any stubborn build up, grab the air compressor hose and blast the chain dry before lubing and reinstalling on the bicycle.
    Quick and easy:)
    Chainsaw bar & chain oil or motorcycle standard roller chain spray foam works great on bicycle chains.
  • 10-11-2008
    elchoopanebre
    Very well done. This is helpful.
  • 10-17-2008
    Adam_waugh
    Thanks Dear, Good Job
  • 12-31-2008
    Holdsy
    Great stuff, ......Steve....!!!!
  • 02-05-2009
    theAdviserMe
    very informative i'd say.
    just let me add this, for cleaning the engine externally, brush it with kerosene and wipe it dry with a clean rag.
    Keep it up,more and more of us are learning from these tips
  • 02-05-2009
    SteveUK
    "just let me add this, for cleaning the engine externally, brush it with kerosene and wipe it dry with a clean rag."

The engine?
  • 02-17-2009
    LeftyKyle
    Thanks for the info!
  • 07-03-2009
    ZGOZZ
    Thank you for this thread, and this post. Great info and thank you for the time in posting this and the right up...
  • 09-11-2009
    CruisingEagle90
    Awesome info!
  • 10-12-2009
    vanamees
    1 Attachment(s)
    Cleening home alone
  • 03-10-2010
    ForrestCoors
    Just bought my GF Big Sur. Like every other bike I buy or find, I clean and tune, clean and tune! I will check out the link, as I'm sure there is something that will be learned.
  • 03-31-2010
    fatboypup
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTrain
    well, tires should be worn out before any type of "sun damage" gets to them. and armor all on your seat? er.. no.. methinks that would be a wee bit too slickery.

you seen the sun in Arizona? ;)
  • 04-07-2010
    vanox
    Thanks again!
  • 08-07-2010
    The Soleutator
    Good guide, but it should be noted that WD40 and other petro-based lubricants will break down and dissolve most plastics. Not sure if that's an issue here, since the guide suggests that as much of it be removed as possible when done using it, but just something to note.
  • 09-07-2010
    Firepac
    Do you recommend using rubbing alcohol or acetone to clean the bike chain and gears?
  • 09-07-2010
    SteveUK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firepac
    Do you recommend using rubbing alcohol or acetone to clean the bike chain and gears?

No, I don't.
  • 09-07-2010
    The Soleutator
    Quote:

I use it to wipe metal surfaces down. It's not a very effective degreaser, so I end up having to use a lot of it. It's also known to cause rust if left sitting there for too long, and can make plastic parts brittle if used excessively. I'd recommend tri-flow to clean the chain (lube it up, move it around, let it sit for a few minutes, and wipe it off). Tri-flow is an effective degreaser, but also lubricates, making things pretty simple. There are plenty of other ways to clean the chain, it's just what I've found most effective. A lot of people soak their chains in kerosene. I would too, I just don't have any.
  • 09-09-2010
    sbcalla
    Quote:

I believe I have seen people use one of these on road bike rims just before their race. I assume it is to get off all the grease and dirt so the crappy cx breaks will work a bit better.
  • 10-06-2010
    DiscGolfDan
    So heres a stupid newbie question?
    So I have been riding most of my life but I've never bought a new bike. I was wondering if I bought a new bike online would it come pre oiled/greased? Or would i have to do it myself?
  • 10-07-2010
    Holdsy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfDan
    So I have been riding most of my life but I've never bought a new bike. I was wondering if I bought a new bike online would it come pre oiled/greased? Or would i have to do it myself?

Bikes would generally come from the manufacturer pre olied and greased but always a good idea to check, and apply some your self www.chain-l.com is one of the best chain oils on the market at present.'
    :thumbsup:
  • 12-14-2010
    timk125
    My rear wheel doesn't click when I'm coasting and doesn't spin very freely...

Do I just need to clean my cassette and freewheel assembly?
  • 02-06-2011
    bwronski
    About how often should cleaning be done?
  • 03-04-2011
    Annadel72
    Thanks alot Steve, now that you have provided such a great guide on how to clean/maint. a bike I have no excuse to not do it now.
  • 04-22-2011
    aaabronco
    You know how some older bikes have those rubber covers over the fork shocks, is it safe to take those off without getting it clogged with dirt or mud?
  • 06-03-2011
    jensen4300
    thanks
    thanks this is great!
  • 06-05-2011
    Cobra Driver
    Wow! What a piece of work!!!

I just went shopping for "very important stuff" to keep my ride smooth and clean...Shhhhh hold on....yes it's work related dear.

Anyhow, thanx for all the info and the trouble you just got me into :)

CD
  • 06-06-2011
    darkace256
    Great job on the maintenance guide,

I'm sure It will help many people including me.
  • 06-06-2011
    honglee
    Very nice, Thank you for the article.
  • 06-07-2011
    UMDmtnbkr
    Awesome guide...thanks man!
  • 06-08-2011
    clark3554
    nice tips. thanks man
  • 06-09-2011
    Reef Diver
    Thank you!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • 06-09-2011
    AScagsLife
    Thanks for the detailed guide! It is extremely helpful!
  • 06-10-2011
    grimcow
    Nice
  • 06-18-2011
    cslrider
    thanks!!!
  • 06-19-2011
    Assassin1206
    sweeet
    This is awesome... these tips are very useful! Thanks!! :thumbsup:
  • 06-21-2011
    TerikE