1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Offroader
    Fantastic guide for a beginner... will definitely add to my favorite tab

Thanks!

Dum Spiro Spero
    So here's the skinny ...

I got home from work early yesterday, skies were clear, mid-60s, figured I'd go out and grab 10-12 miles on my 1+ month old Trek 820 before the wife and kids got home.

About 5 1/2 miles in, my chainring cover (I think that's what it's called) popped off. It's hard plastic, and there seems to be 3 tabs that should hold it onto the crankset (again, might not be the right term), but 2 of them had snapped off somehow. Coincidentally, I took it to my local bike shop the day before to take advantage of the (belated) free 30-day tune up ... maybe the guy inadvertently mucked it up somehow. So here I am with this round plastic perforated disc thing-a-ma-bob dangling next to the pedal as I'm riding. A-nnoy-ing. The largest "hole" - part of the molded design - was too small to just slide off and over the pedal, and I couldn't (didn't want to) break it off.

Think it's an important piece, or is it just cosmetic and can I do without it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    nice job

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    very helpful

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AD22 View Post
    So here's the skinny ...

I got home from work early yesterday, skies were clear, mid-60s, figured I'd go out and grab 10-12 miles on my 1+ month old Trek 820 before the wife and kids got home.

About 5 1/2 miles in, my chainring cover (I think that's what it's called) popped off. It's hard plastic, and there seems to be 3 tabs that should hold it onto the crankset (again, might not be the right term), but 2 of them had snapped off somehow. Coincidentally, I took it to my local bike shop the day before to take advantage of the (belated) free 30-day tune up ... maybe the guy inadvertently mucked it up somehow. So here I am with this round plastic perforated disc thing-a-ma-bob dangling next to the pedal as I'm riding. A-nnoy-ing. The largest "hole" - part of the molded design - was too small to just slide off and over the pedal, and I couldn't (didn't want to) break it off.

Think it's an important piece, or is it just cosmetic and can I do without it?
    Hey,

Chainring cover is not really an important part of the bike. It basically keeps your trousers away from the dirty chain and outer part of the chainring which is also usually dirty. If you have shorts on, than it doesn`t effect you. You easily remove it. A picture would be great how it looks now.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Get that gay chain ring cover off there and get yourself a cool and hip pant leg strap for riding with pants. Lots of the cool companies make them, sometimes give them away, and the have reflective material and even utilize recycled bike tires etc!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice how-to doc!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    good job. very informative

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Really helped me out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very helpful. Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for putting this one together!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for this

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool, thanks for the tips

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    slamin, thanks

mtbr member
    I clean my bike after every "real" ride. If I'm just cruising the street/neighborhoods I don't.

mtbr member
    good thread very informative

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very informative

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very helpful to a new rider, thanks!

Syb
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Informative is an understatement. This guide is very much appreciated by this noob.
    Syb
    Enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

very helpful thread

very helpful thread for us beginners - i printed it off for the reference book.

thanks, jim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the links SteveUK.

A very good guide to say the least!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is just what I was looking for. Great primer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Awesome stuff, thanks for the rundown.

noob
    hi i have tektro draco brakes on giant revel 1..can any1 help me the front disc makes a slight grinding noise when it turns how do i fix this??...

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast