Thread: Bashguards?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Bashguards?

Hi all,

I was thinking of installing a bashguard to my FS bike, but problem is, i have no idea where to start off, and just have so many questions on them. i hope you can answer them.

1. What bashguard do you reccomend? -i Like the homebrew.com's, are they any good?

2. Will any bash guard fit any crankset, or is there something i need to find out first, before making a purchase? (at the moment i have the Shimano LX Hollowtech 2 crankset)

3. At the moment, i have a "3-speed" front derailleur (3 chainrings).. Since i am installing a bash guard, would i need to buy a 2-speed front derailleur, or can i stick with the one i have right now and adjust it?

4. Since i am dropping off the largest gear, to install the bash guard, can i go up in teeth, on the next 2 chainrings?

5. From experience, is it really worth dropping down a few teeth?

Thanks!
    -Matt

Did I catch a niner+?
    1. HBC bashguards all the way

2. Shimano LXs have a 104BCD so anything with that size on Dan's site will be fine, he has a section for Shimano specifically.

3. No you're 3 speed is fine just needs to have the limit screw reset.

4. I don't see why not but I would personally stick with what you have and go from there.

5. Can't really answer on a geared perspective since I have been riding a singlespeed for a long time now (no geared bike). I guess if I was going 2x9 I would actually go up teeth vs dropping to easier. The real reason I see people drop the big ring is to drop some weight at virtually no cost.

If you don't want to drop the coin on a HBC you can go with BBG they're like $16 but I find they bend pretty easy, but are also easy to bend back.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    1. HBC bashguards all the way

2. Shimano LXs have a 104BCD so anything with that size on Dan's site will be fine, he has a section for Shimano specifically.

3. No you're 3 speed is fine just needs to have the limit screw reset.

4. I don't see why not but I would personally stick with what you have and go from there.

5. Can't really answer on a geared perspective since I have been riding a singlespeed for a long time now (no geared bike). I guess if I was going 2x9 I would actually go up teeth vs dropping to easier. The real reason I see people drop the big ring is to drop some weight at virtually no cost.

If you don't want to drop the coin on a HBC you can go with BBG they're like $16 but I find they bend pretty easy, but are also easy to bend back.
    oh great, thanks!

Actually, i read you must take off the 3rd biggest ring, and replace that with a bashguard. and by the looks of my crankset, i dont think it would be possible to put a bashguard ontop of the 3rd ring, without some cutting away.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Yes, for simplicity sake, you'll want to remove your largest ring to replace it with the bashguard (ie. switch to a 2x9 setup).

I'm a fan of the BBG bashguards and run one on my 1x9 setup without issue.

If your middle ring is 32T, then just 1. buy a 104BCD 32T bashguard, 2. mount it in place of your large ring, 3. re-adjust your front derailer limit screw, and you're done...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Paleh0rse, is it possible to go up in teeth on the middle ring, such as a 34T, and then go up in teeth on the smallest chainring, to compensate dropping off the 3rd chainring? -i know i would have to get a bigger bashguard, if i go this route.

Thanks

local trails rider
    I believe many cranksets are now available with 24 and 36T chainrings, maybe even bigger, so 34 should not be a problem at all. You might, or might not, need to change the front derailer position slightly to clear the bigger chainring.

But try with your current rings first, and see if you really miss a taller gear. A couple of teeth in the front is a pretty small difference.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    22-36T double cranksets (w/ bash) are common for Shimano. You can also get plenty of other double crankset combos depending on your needs. Of course you can customize too like you are talking.

Make sure you price out what the individual rings will cost because you may find yourself able to buy a whole crankset (like the SLX M665) for not much more $ and end up with new crank arms and a new BB.

The absolute best (cheapest) way is to just buy the bash and run your 22/32/bash for awhile to see if your 32 gives you enough on the high end. You won't be in but $30 or less (unless you want an expensive bash).

If you think you'll be riding pavement at or mashing downhill, with a 32T at 100rpm cadence you'll max out at around 25 mph. 36T will give you 28mph.

You probably shouldn't be too concerned.

Check out Sheldon's gear page if you want to play around with your own calculations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks Perritime and Slee Stack.

I was thinking of going this route too, since My middle chainring 32T is pretty much dead, and i need to replace it ASAP. So, i was thinking of getting a 36T, and removing the 42T, and just put a bashguard on, so i know i wont be stuck at the bottom of a trail, if i do something stupid.

I feel 32T at times is just too low, but then the 42T is just too high at times, so i think 36T would be a great alternative gear for me, to adjust too.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikestobike View Post
    Thanks Perritime and Slee Stack.

I was thinking of going this route too, since My middle chainring 32T is pretty much dead, and i need to replace it ASAP. So, i was thinking of getting a 36T, and removing the 42T, and just put a bashguard on, so i know i wont be stuck at the bottom of a trail, if i do something stupid.

I feel 32T at times is just too low, but then the 42T is just too high at times, so i think 36T would be a great alternative gear for me, to adjust too.
    If you're replacing your middle ring, anyway, and you want some more at the top end, by all means, get a large enough bashring to cover the size middle ring you want. You'll readjust your front derailleur up and tighten the high limit screw, but the same der will work fine.

A bashguard is definitely worth it for most trail riding. Unless you are on perfectly smooth buff singletrack, you'll never really need the large ring anyway. I only put the big ring back on my bike for long epics that have a lot of fire road sections.

Salsa does make a bashring that will fit over all three rings. In my experience, you have to purchase some longer bolts (It comes with long bolts, but not long enough - the package comes with three spacers per bolt, and I have always had to use all three spacers, and the bolts that it comes with won't actually reach with all three spacers used). Anyway, another option, though generally, 2 rings and bash is sufficient for most. (I have installed the Salsa bash on customer's bikes, never felt the need for it on my own.)
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got a FSA 34T chainring, and shimano 26T chainring. As for a bashguard, i ordered a BBG 34T bash guard. Later on though, i may just order a 36T.

I was interested in bashguards that fit all 3, and put a bashguard next to the 3rd chainring, but the bond i have with my 3rd gear on trails, is like the worst couple ever.

Im hoping that the drop off of the 3rd gear wont be such a bad idea later on.

mtbr member
    One more thing: After swapping the big ring with a bash ring, you can shorten your chain a link or two because it no longer needs to be long enough to make it around the big ring. It will keep things a quieter cuz there won't be as much slack to bounce around.

In case you don't know how to determine chain length: Break the chain and remove. Wrap it around the biggest ring and the biggest cog, avoiding the rear derailleur. Where it meets + two links.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Awesome Gasp4Air! thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlikestobike View Post
    Awesome Gasp4Air! thanks!
    My pleasure. When I switched to a bash ring a few of years ago, an unexpected benefit was that I started cleaning log-overs better. It turns out that my big ring was catching the logs and was throwing me off balance without my realizing it. Although I've read that you can use the big ring to climb over a big log, I'm happy to be rid of it. The bash, being smaller, won't hit as readily, and when it does, it just slides along.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Huckin' trails
    I never understand that kind of question...

Why in god hell should you need to trash a ring to be able to add a bashguard... This is plain stupid, as you then give yourself even more hard time to find another middle ring and get your max speed down...

Unless you're trying to save weight, keep that damn 3x crank and just get a bashguard that fit on the third ring and you're good to go... A bashguard is there to prevent damages to your rings (to absorbs impacts and protect the teeth), so why trash a ring to replace it by something that will protect your middle ring, since that third ring would be doing the job at no cost if you don't use it...

Most crank (well, outer ring) have holes in them of place to drill some, to fix a pant-saver or bashguard... just get a bashguard for this purpose, or cut yourself a piece of acrylic panel, round it good on a buffer, drill some holes, get some bolts and you're all set...

Its like everyone take for granted that they need to do whatever the manufacturers are telling them, and no other options are possible...

Please get creative... damn it.

And why you need a bashguard ? is it because you think you need one because you saw many bike with one or because you really need it for your riding style ?

If you use your big ring to get over a log, then there's a problem there... just remove that ring or learn proper technics for clearing those obstacles... And you can keep your current derailleur.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

Why in god hell should you need to trash a ring to be able to add a bashguard... This is plain stupid, as you then give yourself even more hard time to find another middle ring and get your max speed down...

Unless you're trying to save weight, keep that damn 3x crank and just get a bashguard that fit on the third ring and you're good to go... A bashguard is there to prevent damages to your rings (to absorbs impacts and protect the teeth), so why trash a ring to replace it by something that will protect your middle ring, since that third ring would be doing the job at no cost if you don't use it...

Most crank (well, outer ring) have holes in them of place to drill some, to fix a pant-saver or bashguard... just get a bashguard for this purpose, or cut yourself a piece of acrylic panel, round it good on a buffer, drill some holes, get some bolts and you're all set...

Its like everyone take for granted that they need to do whatever the manufacturers are telling them, and no other options are possible...

And why you need a bashguard ? is it because you think you need one because you saw many bike with one or because you really need it for your riding style ?

If you use your big ring to get over a log, then there's a problem there... just remove that ring or learn proper technics for clearing those obstacles... And you can keep your current derailleur.

David
    Some people, like myself with a 1x9 setup, have decided that we simply have no use for all three chainrings.

Second, you gain a tiny bit of ground clearance when you ditch the big ring and throw on a bashguard that matches the middle ring's size.

Third, its nice to slide right over some obstacles when you don't quite clear them cleanly.

Finally, some of us don't feel like mangling our cranks to add holes, bolts, a fourth ring, and more weight.

To each their own?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

David
    Well, the bashguard also prevents you from getting cut up pretty badly by a serrated blade.

Furthermore, running a 2x9/2x10 means you can run a medium cage derailleur which improves shifting performance that teeny bit.

Cheers

RideDirt
    My bike came stock with a 2x10 setup and im actually looking into doing a 1x10 setup due to my riding style .. I dont need the extra speed as i am doing pretty steep drops , roots , rocks, etc.. And i have enough to climb up hills i need or just jump onto a fireroad . Trying to prepare myself for some donwhill type of action ..

local trails rider
    Why in god hell should you need to trash a ring to be able to add a bashguard
    In my case... the big ring was already wrecked by too many hits on rocks.

... at the same time, I was getting tired of bent derailer hangers, so decided to go a couple of steps further and make the bike a singlespeed

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"