1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

BAMF Half Nelson

Well it is now Thursday. I have been looking pretty heavy for a Hardtail MTB all week long on the internet. Tomorrow I will be making a trip to the LBS for a sizing and a look around. I did come across this bike and was wondering some opinions.

http://www.giantnerd.com/bamf-half-n...tain-bike.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So after visiting the home page I found that BAMF bikes is a local Colorado company. They are located in boulder co so that gives me an extra vote of confidence being 4 hrs over the rockies mountains. Can anyone give any input on the components that it comes with?

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by 99xjlove
    So after visiting the home page I found that BAMF bikes is a local Colorado company. They are located in boulder co so that gives me an extra vote of confidence being 4 hrs over the rockies mountains. Can anyone give any input on the components that it comes with?
    The components are low end, but so is the price. The RST fork is probably going to be the biggest issue, but it usually is with bikes in the $300s. Just take it easy on the jumps and drops or you'll be looking for a replacement soon. The 8 speed drivetrain isn't as desireable, but it'll work, and hopefully the brakes won't be too sketchy. If it were me, I'd probably go with something like a Trek 3700 Disc for a few bucks more, just to get the support of a LBS. The cheaper drivetrains and brakes tend to need more adjustment, and if you can get some free service out of the deal, that would help you during the break in period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well I went around to my 3 Lbs and took a look at what they had to offer in the $500 and below area. To my surprise most of them had the exact sram gen mechanisms and suntour or comparable cranksets. Nothing in the area came with disc brakes except for the raliegh and the guy said they were made by DB so why not. I said screw it and ordered the 21.5" BAMF half nelson.

mtbr member
    personally i think its a big risk ordering a bike without riding it, especially a smaller company like BAMF... each bike has different geometry and going off of frame size can be difficult.

Like was said above and in your other thread now is the time to buy 2010 models and XL frames seem to be more available then others so i would have went the LBS route but i'm not you. I hope your bike works for you, make sure to take some pics when you get it!
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Like I said, I went to 3 Lbs and all of the bikes they had for around the same price were of the same quality. THis company is only 4 short hrs away from where I live, and I have had several conversations with them alreadey. Personaly I'm all for supporting small business, and would rather give my money to a Local Business than some huge overpriced because of their name brandness company. As parts wear out they will be replaced, no matter what bike you buy.

I'll have Pics up the night I get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well The BAMF is a no go. I waited all week and they hadn't shipped it. So I called only to find out that supposedly BAMF marked all the frames wrong when they sent them to GiantNerd.com. Giantnerd never contacted me to tell me that they couldn't find a frame in a 21.5" for me and were checking the warehouse. I called them back again the next day and they hadn't even starded loooking yet. So i told them I wanted a refund. Money back in my account today. I'll post the new bike when I get it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did you get your BAMF?