1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -Bill in Houston
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -Zebrahum

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is a funny thread. Last year was my first year of mountain biking. I've been guilty of doing some of the things mentioned in this thread, mainly in doing upgrades I didn't really need at my level and spent money unnecessarily doing it. In my case, some I'm such a cheapskate and typically only bought new parts or bikes, some of the upgrades I did were hardly upgrades at all, like changing out 80mm Rock Shox Dart 2 forks for 100mm RST Omegas. Probably wouldn't have done stuff like that had I not found this forum, but oh well...I guess you live and learn.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    priceless

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -Monzie

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr

EDR
    Bac..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    In my case, some I'm such a cheapskate and typically only bought new parts or bikes, some of the upgrades I did were hardly upgrades at all, like changing out 80mm Rock Shox Dart 2 forks for 100mm RST Omegas.
    Seriously?

Guess I missed that one. How'd it work out?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Seriously?

Guess I missed that one. How'd it work out?
    Well, in the case of the RST Omegas, I rode with them for a few months and re-upgraded to Rockshox Recon Silver R's. They are much better forks than both of the other forks I previously had on the bike, but a little too "squishy". I will say, however, that if I could have done it again, I would have upgraded straight to the Recon's instead of the RSTs, or perhaps splurged a little more for a more expensive, but better performing fork. At my level, though, the Recon's work fine. Probably wouldn't race with them, though, assuming I ever get into that!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Recons are fully raceworthy. You just need to be able to set fork pressure and adjust rebound. That one doesn't even have the damper people break, IIRC.

If they're too squishy, why don't you just add another 5 psi or so? I'm riding an aging Marzocchi with pressure and rebound only, and I've found a happy pressure that pedals fine and also gives a good enough ride. Sure it's not like having a platform or compression damper, but it's enough to go racing and beat some of my previous times.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    monzie, i was trying to figure out how to phrase that pressure washing one. well done. and i love the "move the rocks" one too. around here it would be "just cut the roots".

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Recons are fully raceworthy. You just need to be able to set fork pressure and adjust rebound. That one doesn't even have the damper people break, IIRC.

If they're too squishy, why don't you just add another 5 psi or so? I'm riding an aging Marzocchi with pressure and rebound only, and I've found a happy pressure that pedals fine and also gives a good enough ride. Sure it's not like having a platform or compression damper, but it's enough to go racing and beat some of my previous times.
    Either I'm really missing something, or my forks aren't air forks. This is the model I have:

RockShox Recon Silver R Fork 2011 at Price Point

Downhill, the Recon's work great, at least for me. Up hill, not so much...would help if I lost some weight, though.

Cow Clicker

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Nothing wrong with this advise. Do you expect me to just HIT the poor fool?
    no you use him as a ramp to jump the log he tripped over

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, didn't realize the Recon shipped with a coil.

Try more preload or get a stiffer spring. That's part of the point of buying a name-brand fork - different spring kits are available. You can probably also switch to an air cartridge if you like. Both systems have their pros and cons.

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -Marpilli

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    LOL, didn't realize the Recon shipped with a coil.

Try more preload or get a stiffer spring. That's part of the point of buying a name-brand fork - different spring kits are available. You can probably also switch to an air cartridge if you like. Both systems have their pros and cons.
    Thanks. I may look into that if I decide to start racing in the Spring or Summer. I may just upgrade to a whole new bike, though. If you have seen any of my other threads, I've really wanted to upgrade to a $1000+ full suspension bike after Winter (or maybe a 29er or 650b), and I'm kind of ready to move on from my Frankenstein Leader "Money Pitt" mountain bike.

Only problem is my disposable income just went down quite a bit since I just bought an SUV, and now have a car payment. Until recently, I've been able to comply with Rule #25.

"The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car."

See Velominati The Rules

I decided to get rid of my two functional, but ugly vehicles, which I owned out right, and buy a nice looking, gas guzzling SUV so I can get more babes. Or at least not get creepy looks from them.

Only downside is that means not as much free cash to spend on bikes!

Cow Clicker
    Race what you have and race yourself.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I haven't been able to comply with rule #25 in a while. Although at least I was able to buy my (12-year-old) gas-guzzling SUV outright. Sort of. Will take me that much longer to pay off my student loans, but at least I'm not afraid of having the damn thing break in the middle of nowhere. Mostly on my way to see the babe I got while I was driving my '93 Ranger, with three outta four working cylinders (and that ain't bad!)

Still, I'm not sure why racing is a prerequisite to setting up one's bike correctly. The spring kit is about a $40 part. Have you been bottoming out, or does it just bob when you climb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I haven't been able to comply with rule #25 in a while. Although at least I was able to buy my (12-year-old) gas-guzzling SUV outright. Sort of. Will take me that much longer to pay off my student loans, but at least I'm not afraid of having the damn thing break in the middle of nowhere. Mostly on my way to see the babe I got while I was driving my '93 Ranger, with three outta four working cylinders (and that ain't bad!)

Still, I'm not sure why racing is a prerequisite to setting up one's bike correctly. The spring kit is about a $40 part. Have you been bottoming out, or does it just bob when you climb?
    I purchased a 15 year old gas guzzling SUV! 1998 Ford Explorer Sport. Really bad on gas, but really nice looking! I figure it is going to double my monthly gas budget (about $80 a month extra + $158 for the payment), so I may even pick up a cheap commuter bike to offset that cost. Even though it does have enough space to put a bike in the back, it also has a rooftop rack that I can put a bike on to look even cooler and double my chances of getting a babe!

I don't think I've been bottoming out on the fork. Its more of a really bad pedal bob when going up hill, and a certain extent on flat surfaces. Pre-load adjustment is on the stiffest setting, but it doesn't feel stiff at all. I have broken 2 out of 3 personal course records on that bike with that fork, so at least I'm faster on it than other bikes I've owned.

I may buy the $40 part you suggested to upgrade the fork, but like I said, I kind of want to move on from that bike entirely. Truthfully, working on bikes has been very frustrating for me, because there is always this little curve ball that is thrown at me. I know a heck of a lot more about bike repair than I used to, and I'm glad I have the knowledge, but I'm almost at the point where the best course of action is to let someone else do the work! Or just get a bike that is easy to maintain and has the parts I like so I won't need or want to upgrade. Maybe fork upgrades are easier to deal with, though, than other types of repairs, so if I don't have enough money to upgrade to a better bike, I may go that route.
    Last edited by getagrip; 12-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.

beater
    Strava cat is saved for future use. Brilliant.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Cow Clicker
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -FLMike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    -FLMike
    LOL, love it.. Now who can tell me what this refers to

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Never believe what a salesman tells you when it's about something you might buy.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast