1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Bad boy made nasty

Hello All,
    Justt recently purchased a 2013 bad boy 1. Medium frame.

I wanted to ask if anyone had suggestions for products I can upgrade it with. Starting with stem and handlebar. (The USB rechargeable light on the factory bar shins in my eyes at night and not on the road ahead!) I guess also replacement pedals and saddle.
    I am using primarily for commuting around the city, but some weekend trips around the park. I live in manhattan so mostly road and traffic dodging.
    I also want to get a good bike computer so any suggests there to would be great.
    Thank you all in advance for your time and input.

mtbr member
    Ride the bike for a few weeks or months and try to make a list of what you would like to improve. I recommend a patch kit, multitool, saddle bags if needed, tubes, bike cleaners, and chainlube. As for as bike computers, I've had good experience with Cateye. Ride safe!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by RyukyuMtnBiker View Post
    Ride the bike for a few weeks or months and try to make a list of what you would like to improve. I recommend a patch kit, multitool, saddle bags if needed, tubes, bike cleaners, and chainlube. As for as bike computers, I've had good experience with Cateye. Ride safe!

Thanks for your input. Ill def put in some miles first. I do know I need a new stem and handlebars right now though. Dam light is poorly designed and shines in my eyes at night and not on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondsimon View Post
    Thanks for your input. Ill def put in some miles first. I do know I need a new stem and handlebars right now though. Dam light is poorly designed and shines in my eyes at night and not on the road.
    Yea, I've heard the light in the handlebar is the number 1 dislike of the bike. How long are your commutes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RyukyuMtnBiker View Post
    Yea, I've heard the light in the handlebar is the number 1 dislike of the bike. How long are your commutes?
    Not that bad- 8miles round trip.

Bad boy made nasty

Looks to me like the light does shine forward on the road just fine. Doesn't change that it bleeds up into your eyes, though.

Maybe just zip tie a small piece of plastic above it as a cutoff to shade your eyes?

Though personally I run a lot more lumens than that light puts out. Especially under the shine of street lights.

I like flat pedals on my city bike so I would keep those.

Ride the saddle awhile before deciding if a swap is necessary.

I would be more likely to put money into accessories instead of upgrades. I have fenders and a rack, good lights, a lock, a lot of reflective area (tape and reflective parts), and a saddle I like. Though I am not sure how you would put a decent fender on that front wheel