1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Back in the saddle after about 10 years

I'm dusting off my raleigh m40, i've bought a rocky mounts noose rack to bolt onto my subaru factory racks and i'm venturing off! I'm looking forward to it, any suggestions to make this a better experience?

Sent from my HTC Glacier

mtbr member
    Welcome to the site, and good for you. 1 of the best things I bought that really enhanced my riding experience is a Garmin Dakota GPS. Don't think twice about venturing out alone on new trails. It helps keep track of miles speed, time, ect. Helps to find local stores and such.
    but anyways, get out and ride and you'll quickly figure out what you need to make it a better experience for you.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Welcome to the site, and good for you. 1 of the best things I bought that really enhanced my riding experience is a Garmin Dakota GPS. Don't think twice about venturing out alone on new trails. It helps keep track of miles speed, time, ect. Helps to find local stores and such.
    but anyways, get out and ride and you'll quickly figure out what you need to make it a better experience for you.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to it and will post up some pics of my inaugural ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by async View Post
    I'm dusting off my raleigh m40, i've bought a rocky mounts noose rack to bolt onto my subaru factory racks and i'm venturing off! I'm looking forward to it, any suggestions to make this a better experience?
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of mountain biking. I ride solo a lot and enjoy it but when I'm with my friends it is compounded. Not sure if you're solo or not but it is more fun when in the company of friends.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out the mountain bike ride packing list - breaking something a few miles from the car and not being able to fix it will ruin a good ride; being able to fix it makes the problem pretty forgettable.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Welcome back.
    Hope this will be a life time of discovery and fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in roughly the same boat... Didn't ride for a long time, then my bike got stolen--not that I used it--which further delayed my return. I just got a new bike, and will be riding with my girlfriend who is an accomplished roadie but has never done mountain.

Anything I ever knew about riding, I have probably forgotten. I'll post a thread with a pic of my previous bike and that will tell the story...

mtbr member
    Good luck and congrats! I am in a similiar situation. Rode my ass of in the nineties. Life happened, sold my stuff, and am now starting again with a fervor after 16 years. As far as advice goes....my personal experience, was after that long of a break, I really, really sucked the first few times out. Cardio, strength, and especially confidence over obstacles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Same boat here - rode all the time up through about 96 or so, then got away from it. Decided to get back into it and jumped in hard with a new Speshy SJ FSR 29er Expert. Totally different experience from my old hardtail!! Cardio, confidence, legs - all suck after 15 years, but coming back bit by bit each time out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Similar situation for me too, I rode a lot from the mid 90's up to 2003 then was really sporadic until about May this year.
    Now i am re-living the joy of trail riding and hitting the trails 3 days a week, it's painful but getting used to the pain. After demo'ing a SC tallboy and was amazed how it feels on the trails i had to order one

mtbr member
    I thought i was the only one in this situation, man was i wrong. I rode my speci hardtail(which i still have) in the nineties than my son was born in 98 and i have riden nothing but flat trails or the road. I just picked up a stumpy fsr and i love it !! I need the hobby and exercise, because man am i out of shape when it comes to riding the trails..