1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    W'bu V Peddler

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Back in the saddle...

This weekend I hit one of our local trails for the first time this season and quickly remembered that during the off season I wanted to get a better saddle...I'm still hurting...love it though. I was looking at a Topeak Allay Sport, or maybe a WTB Speed V Pro Gel. Any other suggestions? I am starting my upgrade process...I am for sure hooked on MTB'n.
    09 Titus Motolite...
    Sram X-7 Group (for now)
    Clark Skeletal Brakes
    Truvativ Stylo Crank
    Crank Bros Pedals

AZ
    banned
    I really like the WTB Devo Carbon , replacing several seats with it .

mtbr member
    Everyone's butt is different, so it's hard to go by what others butts like. Try new saddles until you discover what works for you. Here are a few things to consider:

* You don't necessarily have to spend a lot . $30 to $60 will buy lots of decent saddles.
    * Heavy padding/gel does not equal more comfort down the trail. After 15 min it can become a problem.
    * Decent shorts with a good padded liner can make a big difference in comfort and moisture control.
    * Height and saddle angle will make a big difference in comfort, and may be slightly different for different saddles.

Good luck!
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.