1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Back from the dead.

Scooped up my new Giant STP from my LBS yesterday (1st bike in 10 years). I took it for a ride through my town. It was the first time I felt like a kid in years (34 now) albeit a fat, out of shape kid. I was sucking wind, but it was a blast.

Can't wait to do it again.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    I'm right with you on that one. This sport will get you in shape in no time!
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    Dude I feel ya 100%!! I was outta the saddle for 10+ years...got a new ride for x-mas this past year and I am lovin' it!!

One word of advice...STAY IN THE SADDLE!! I ramped up my endurance a decent amount after I first got the bike (I am a 30 year old and very outta shape both physically and cardiovascular wise) I then had about a 2.5 week stint where I couldn't ride due to traveling, etc...and I was hurtin' on that first ride back...

I have been trying to go at least 3-4 times a week lately up to the local trails and it is already helping big time on both my overall skill and endurance. Hell...I even let these guys bomb down the hill well ahead of me last night and I almost caught them...it was a good feelin'!
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    WooHoo! Good on ya!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Simple things... A kid and his bike.

Even the young bmx and flatlands kids wanted to check out my new ride. I was all proud. Too funny.

...the wave won't brek
    Another 30 y/o here.

Good for you!

Keep on it and you will be riding like a demon in no time

I have bee riding about four years now (four MTB only and this is my second season riding both road and MTB). I needed to get myself cleaned up physically.

Bu the time I finished my undergrad and got a desk job I was a big fat out of shape slob.

The MTB saved me buy helping me shed 20 lbs and keep it off, and has tuned my cardiovascular system right up.

You will be amazed by what the bike does for you both physically as well as menatally.

Keep Riding!

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Braiiiiiiinnnnnsssss ......... uhhhhhh
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    I agree with anthrax - riding is great for mind, body and soul!!

I only ride dirt...I have no desire to be a "roadie" or take my mountain bike on the road...so it takes a little more effort to ride other than just pulling outta my garage and riding the neighborhood...but Atlanta is great for trail riding. I have trails close to my house for week day rides...and 20 minutes away some great single-track for weekend riding!!

I wanna lose about 30 lbs...I have started the trend...and getting up to go riding is a lot easier than making it to the gym...simply b/c I actually enjoying riding. I love climbing for the workout...and descending for the thrill!!
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"