1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Back to basics, need a bit of advice (wheel isn't true)

Hi guys,

I had a buddy recently upgrade to a new AM bike and he sold me his '07 Stumpjumper comp at a steal, but the front wheel is not rotating true. I can barely hear it rub on the disc brakes. It is on the stock setup;

Hubs Front: Specialized Stout disc, Rear: Shimano FH-M525 disc
    Rims DT Swiss/Specialized X430, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.00" Specialized Fast Trak Pro
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 15ga. (1.8mm) straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Alloy

Any tips before I take it over to the local shop and have them look it over? And anything else I should look out for on this Stumpy? This bike was by all appearances used lightly and is quite clean.

I had ridden a lot in the past, did Ragbri 10x years back but now that I'm in Norcal and so many trails so close I decided to hop on and ride some singletrack. Any tips/advice are welcomed.

Thank you!

-DJ

AKA Dr.Nob
    first thing: Is is the rim that's out of true or the disc rotor. You won't be able to "hear" an out of true rim but you will hear a rotor rubbing in the caliper
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    first thing: Is is the rim that's out of true or the disc rotor. You won't be able to "hear" an out of true rim but you will hear a rotor rubbing in the caliper

I am pretty sure its the rim at first glance. I am trying to process a vid from my iphone to youtube but its taking longer than expected.

heres the youtube link for my crappy video, it may take a few minutes to process;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHWut8D3_I

mtbr member
    Definitely the wheel. Get it trued before you ride it. Other than that, perhaps a tune-up whether by you or the shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Definitely the wheel. Get it trued before you ride it. Other than that, perhaps a tune-up whether by you or the shop.

Thank you sir! I happen to live steps away from a great shop in norcal (PTB) and will bring it over to them.

-DJ