mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Back to basics, need a bit of advice (wheel isn't true)

Hi guys,

I had a buddy recently upgrade to a new AM bike and he sold me his '07 Stumpjumper comp at a steal, but the front wheel is not rotating true. I can barely hear it rub on the disc brakes. It is on the stock setup;

Hubs Front: Specialized Stout disc, Rear: Shimano FH-M525 disc
    Rims DT Swiss/Specialized X430, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.00" Specialized Fast Trak Pro
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 15ga. (1.8mm) straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Alloy

Any tips before I take it over to the local shop and have them look it over? And anything else I should look out for on this Stumpy? This bike was by all appearances used lightly and is quite clean.

I had ridden a lot in the past, did Ragbri 10x years back but now that I'm in Norcal and so many trails so close I decided to hop on and ride some singletrack. Any tips/advice are welcomed.

Thank you!

-DJ

AKA Dr.Nob
    first thing: Is is the rim that's out of true or the disc rotor. You won't be able to "hear" an out of true rim but you will hear a rotor rubbing in the caliper
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    first thing: Is is the rim that's out of true or the disc rotor. You won't be able to "hear" an out of true rim but you will hear a rotor rubbing in the caliper

I am pretty sure its the rim at first glance. I am trying to process a vid from my iphone to youtube but its taking longer than expected.

heres the youtube link for my crappy video, it may take a few minutes to process;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHWut8D3_I

mtbr member
    Definitely the wheel. Get it trued before you ride it. Other than that, perhaps a tune-up whether by you or the shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Definitely the wheel. Get it trued before you ride it. Other than that, perhaps a tune-up whether by you or the shop.

Thank you sir! I happen to live steps away from a great shop in norcal (PTB) and will bring it over to them.

-DJ