1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: A,b,c Riders

mtbr member

A,b,c Riders

can someone please tell me how you rank a person as an a,b,c rider.i was talking to someone the other day about mtb and they ask me what type of rider i was? do you get ranked on riding distance,ability,type of riding,how long you been riding.i am just curious i am not trying to put a label on myself. me personally i just ride for fun!
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The A group could be classified as the “serious” bikers - fast pace, long distance riders on high-end bikes. The B group would be what I call the “15 mph crowd” - those who like to ride, and have pretty good road bikes, but just can’t keep up with the As. The C group would be parents on hybrids, kids, oldsters on cruiser bikes, people who ride short distances for fun and a little exercise.
    5char

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    gotta say im in the B Group

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    I'm solidly in group B on a mountain bike, my equipment is far superior to my skill at this point in time.