1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    831

    Are Aztec Teflon coated wires worth it?

    I went to pull my X.7 shifters off a bike I'm selling and put it on my trail bike that has factory SX.5 on it. Since I'm pulling the shifters, I figure, I might as well buy new wires.

    For my bike (iDrive 4) I found that Performance had Aztec Teflon coated wires for $4.99 each. I bought 2 for my bike. I kept the factory Jagwire housings and just replaced the wires.

    Performance also sold me bulk MTB shifter cables for $2.99 for the bike I'm selling.

    Are the Aztec wires worth the extra $$? Should I replace my brake cables too? Will the Teflon coating make that much of a difference?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    It's not a dramatic difference, but if you're good at setting up your brakes you will feel the teflon'ed cables to be smoother and to allow a more snappy return on the brakes.

  3. #3
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,969
    I think the coated cables run more smoothly for longer, though I've never had an issue with the regular kind. I've never tried the Aztec ones, only the XTR and Jagwire though.

    I tell this to everyone: replace your cables and housing as a pair. Everything works better when you do. Of course, if you're replacing something that's been on for a matter of weeks and works fine, then just cable is ok. But if you're replacing something that you've been running for a while, then replace both. It's not terribly more expensive and the difference is usually huge.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    I think the coated cables run more smoothly for longer, though I've never had an issue with the regular kind. I've never tried the Aztec ones, only the XTR and Jagwire though.

    I tell this to everyone: replace your cables and housing as a pair. Everything works better when you do. Of course, if you're replacing something that's been on for a matter of weeks and works fine, then just cable is ok. But if you're replacing something that you've been running for a while, then replace both. It's not terribly more expensive and the difference is usually huge.
    The bike has been mine since December 2009, so 8 months? lol. (New old stock)

    In 8 months it's got new shifters (X.7), new handlebars (RaceFace), new stem, new grips (Ergon GP1), new brakes (BB7) and new pedals (Wellgo SPDs)
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  5. #5
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    The bike has been mine since December 2009, so 8 months? lol. (New old stock)

    In 8 months it's got new shifters (X.7), new handlebars (RaceFace), new stem, new grips (Ergon GP1), new brakes (BB7) and new pedals (Wellgo SPDs)
    Oh yeah, housing too then. You'll be happy you did in a couple months when the housing seizes up then when you go to replace that, your fancy new coated cable frays when you try and put it back in and you'll have to buy a new one of those too, leaving you in the same place you would have started from if you got both at the same time.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,123
    ive used both and never noticed even a small difference.

    housings on the other hand, HUGE difference from cheap to good housings! i buy whatever cables are currently on sale, but you need good housings.

  7. #7
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,865
    I haven't used the Aztec brand, but I've used the stuff from Price Point with Jagwire L3 housing. Works very well, in my opinion, and I notice a difference from regular cables (I have 4 bikes with V-brakes).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    ive used both and never noticed even a small difference.

    housings on the other hand, HUGE difference from cheap to good housings! i buy whatever cables are currently on sale, but you need good housings.
    Are my Jagwires good housings?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Oh yeah, housing too then. You'll be happy you did in a couple months when the housing seizes up then when you go to replace that, your fancy new coated cable frays when you try and put it back in and you'll have to buy a new one of those too, leaving you in the same place you would have started from if you got both at the same time.
    Truthfully, the bike has only been out a dozen times or so? I have a couple other bikes I use for pavement (700c) and XC (29er.) My trail bike is setup for trails only and I have to drive 40minutes to get to a trail, so I don't go out that much.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •