1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: axel breakage

mtbr member

Listen! axel breakage

first post!

i ride mostly woods and single trail riding with some street action like benches, curbs and stairs. i ride kinda hard, and my bike takes a beating. i have broken 3 axels since ive had the bike. is there anyways i can get a better axel for my bike? maybe a new hub with a diff setup? ive taken bikes appart to paint em b4. i know how to build on, my DK is pretty much rebuilt. i just got a new axel in like 2 months ago and ive already bent it bad. bike is a 2007 trek 3700 with those junk quick release axles. any way i can put a solid in there? all help is appreciated =]

Former Bike Wrench
    The 3700 is not designed to "take a beating"...it is a recreational trail bike at best. As far as the rear axle issue, it is because the 3700 uses a Freewheel hub...this leaves a large portion of the axle unsupported. If you got a new rear wheel with a Freehub that uses a cassette instead of a freewheel...the broken axles will likely cease.

mtbr member
    wow, that would be nice. im sick of babying the bike. im too good for the bike as it is.

how much would a new hub like this cost... or should i just get a diff bike?

Picture Unrelated
    It's axle, not axel. Lots of browsers have spell check, you should try one of those.

Buy a complete wheel, the labor associated with rebuilding a wheel is not usually worth it. Look for something with a Shimano XT hub, they're not terribly expensive, certainly cheaper than a whole bike. But you really need to look at what you're doing with the bike. There is no reason that you should be breaking axles unless you're doing something like keeping the QR too loose.

Or perhaps you're doing 10 ft drops to flat. In that case, you're on the wrong bike. The Gary Fisher Mullet or Opie are two tough choices and there are plenty of others out there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    It's axle, not axel. Lots of browsers have spell check, you should try one of those.

Buy a complete wheel, the labor associated with rebuilding a wheel is not usually worth it. Look for something with a Shimano XT hub, they're not terribly expensive, certainly cheaper than a whole bike. But you really need to look at what you're doing with the bike. There is no reason that you should be breaking axles unless you're doing something like keeping the QR too loose.

Or perhaps you're doing 10 ft drops to flat. In that case, you're on the wrong bike. The Gary Fisher Mullet or Opie are two tough choices and there are plenty of others out there.
    im doing 2 foot drops and im bending the axle badddd.

I Have Cookies
    yeah with a Freewheel set up you will do that!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DubSixxer
    im doing 2 foot drops and im bending the axle badddd.
    If you're doing 2 foot drops and bending axles, then you still need to learn to ride a bike! (weight excepted) there should be no real reason to bend axles off 2 foot drops! I've never bent an axle in 25 years of riding, I've taken drops larger than that on cheap bikes and good bikes. If you;re not absorbing the impact with your knees, then you're gonna break parts.

If you're skewers aren't properly tight, this might be related. More importantly the 3700 is a bike path cruiser, not an AM rig! the parts spec from what I see is very low grade. If you spend much time REALLY working this rig, you'll be breaking parts on a regular basis.

try a set of these (reasonably tough wheels)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

you'll also need a cassette and install tool (or have your LBS do it)

mtbr member
    i know the bike is cheap. ive had it for 3 years, and ive broken 2 derailleurs on it too. im going to be looking into a new bike soon. anything i can do at the moment? recommend some bikes? under $450 would be great

i know how to ride.... haha, i dont know anyone who rides as good as me around here. especially an 18 year old. ive been riding for 14 years. i know how to ride a bike. its just that im on my bike tire alot, i wheely off of everything. basic j hops bend the axle. im 177 pounds, and i plan on loosing another 10. i want my 6 pack back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Best thing to do is try to find "last years" models. a $450 price point doesn't give you much room to work with. Where I am, a Trek 4300 is $450 and that's only a couple of steps up from what you have. Better to work on your finese while you work on your finance!! honestly you should be looking at the 6700 series hard tails if you want bang for your buck. If you go to full susp, then you need to spend a lot more to get to the same level.

I like Specialized alot (been riding them since 97) the Rockhopper would be another good choice (still around $700). It has a reputation for being a tough durable rig! I still have my 97 Rockhopper A1FS (with most of the original parts!!)

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    A spell check isn't going to catch Axle vs Axel any better than it can catch Brake vs Break or Disc vs Disk...having that knowledge is just as valuable as teaching the correct spelling of axle when it refers to a wheel.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    A spell check isn't going to catch Axle vs Axel any better than it can catch Brake vs Break or Disc vs Disk...having that knowledge is just as valuable as teaching the correct spelling of axle when it refers to a wheel.
    Apparently Chrome is not familiar with Guns 'n Roses so it gives me a misspell on un-capitalized axel.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    It doesn't take much to bend an axle on a freewheel hub. I've done it to a road bike I never take off anything bigger than a curb.

OP, does that frame have a disc brake mount? I think that for $450, it's not worth buying another bike - the upgrade will be pretty incremental unless you find a used dirt jump or trials bike.

If you can't find a DJ or trials bike, just replace the things you break with more suitable equipment. Replacing your rear wheel on the 3700 could be a somewhat involved process, since you don't have disc brakes and most appropriate wheels will have disc-only rims at this point. If nobody online can point you in the right direction, your LBS can probably help you choose a rim and hub. Then, either have QBP build it, have your LBS build it, or do it yourself. Building a wheel is no big deal if you're patient and good with your hands.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    It doesn't take much to bend an axle on a freewheel hub. I've done it to a road bike I never take off anything bigger than a curb.

OP, does that frame have a disc brake mount? I think that for $450, it's not worth buying another bike - the upgrade will be pretty incremental unless you find a used dirt jump or trials bike.

If you can't find a DJ or trials bike, just replace the things you break with more suitable equipment. Replacing your rear wheel on the 3700 could be a somewhat involved process, since you don't have disc brakes and most appropriate wheels will have disc-only rims at this point. If nobody online can point you in the right direction, your LBS can probably help you choose a rim and hub. Then, either have QBP build it, have your LBS build it, or do it yourself. Building a wheel is no big deal if you're patient and good with your hands.
    yes it has disc mounts front and rear. thanx for the infos! you guys are great =]