mtbr member
    Sep 2014

AWOL COMP or TRICROS COMP: what to choose?

What I'll be using it for:

* Mostly commuting
    * The occasional long ride out into the wilderness/camping
    * Maybe, someday, a race

Why I like the AWOL:

* It's indestructible, or at least near there... I could be rough with it
    * Steel means I might be able to sell it for more later (compared to carbon)
    * It weighed at 26 pounds-- this was the large model (I need a medium) with inferior steel. One size smaller, and with the lighter steel that comes with the COMP model, it should weigh a bit less. (The Tricross was 22 pounds.)
    * It was super smooth to ride
    * It can handle weight-- I'll need to be carrying 20lbs of groceries once in awhile.

Cons:

* It didn't feel as "zippy" as the TriCross
    * It's a tad bit more expensive

Why I liked the Tricross

* It felt zippy-- I felt faster, or accelerated faster
    * It's (maybe) a better commuter bike

What I disliked about the Tricross:

* It had inferior breaks
    * I could feel every little bump
    * It's probably not a great choice for camping/getting groceries

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Between those two I'd choose the AWOL. I was shopping for a similar bike this spring and bought a Kona Rove. Similar to the AWOL, and I really love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Keep in mind the Tricross is discontinued and has been replaced by the Diverge. Lets assume your looking at a left over 2014 Tricross Comp. It is a great do it all bike. No reason you could not tour and camp with it. It has rear rack mounts as well as mid fork mounts for front panniers as well. You mentioned the Tricross had inferior brakes. In what way? Both bike listed should have BB7 mechanical disc brakes.
    The Awol is a more upright bike than the Tricross and it is a bit slower accelerating but yes it rides VERY nice.Steel and those fat tires combine for a plush ride. Both the AWOL and the Tricross are very similar in there intended purpose. Hard to choose one over the other. I guess I prefer the AWOL simply because I like steel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

The AWOL. It's very sexy and really captures my imagination. Those saddlebags, images of far away places, as if I really have time for that.

I'd stay away from that detachable frame stay and crazy dropout on the comp simply because it's one more thing that can go wrong at the worst possible moment. What does one do if the threads strip? At home you could just drill it out one size bigger and tap it. Are those bolts stainless? Stainless bolts gall easily, just before they twist and snap off.

I saw a Tri cross in flat black, that was pretty sexy as well. But shops never seem to carry an XL in any model without a special order. I haven't even seen an AWOL in person yet.

But that AWOL blog is twice as retarded as it needs to be. Like a Surly blog on steroids but everyone knows or should know it's just a copy trying to capture some sort of mystique. Surly pulls it off, Specialized does not.

I still want an AWOL , however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    The things you mention doing in real life with this bike are commuting, touring, and hauling groceries.

I've had a load on a bike with short chainstays.

Get the one with longer chainstays.

If you ever really go racing, which I highly recommend trying, you're going to find lots of ways to shoot yourself on the foot. Once you can get through a whole race without sabotaging yourself in some way, it'll be your fitness doing the whining and moaning. The bike doesn't start to matter until after your first upgrade in most disciplines, IME. Besides, you said "maybe, someday." I don't think it's worth riding a bike with a whippy back end for "maybe, someday."

Don't let yourself get led around by which bike felt smoother the way the shop had the tires inflated. Let some air out of the harsh one.

Don't expect much of a weight difference between steel frames, assuming both are some kind of chromoly. Straight-gauge hi-ten frames are a lot heavier than better-quality steel frames. After that, it's diminishing returns.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx