1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur

Been SS'ing for a while and just got a geared 3 x 10 bike. During my first good trail ride yesterday one of my main worries was that I'd gash open the inside of my leg on not only the large chainring but also front derailleur. That thing is sharp and only an inch away from my inner leg during pedaling. Didn't have any issues but I could see on a leaning left turn my leg smacking it or a fall the right way could dig deep.

Is it generally accepted that this is one of the risks of biking? What do you guys do to ensure your ride doesn't end with stitches?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Part of the reason you see lots of bikes with bash guards, most don't normally use their big ring anyways...

Other option would be some sort of shin guard with something on the back.

Htfu and deal is another choice. I gouged my calf on my chainring exactly once. You'll learn. I frequently get grease marks though

mtbr member
    I gouge mine fairly regularly. Doesn't hurt. I think the grease helps the teeth slide into the flesh easier, so don't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

My little friends
    The grease in the cuts, (especially from worn, sharpened chainrings), forms Mountain Biker tatoos, (Free!), Wear them proudly!

Actually, I've been riding for 25 years, and have only cut myself on my chainring a couple of times, all from crashes.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Been SS'ing for a while and just got a geared 3 x 10 bike. During my first good trail ride yesterday one of my main worries was that I'd gash open the inside of my leg on not only the large chainring but also front derailleur. That thing is sharp and only an inch away from my inner leg during pedaling. Didn't have any issues but I could see on a leaning left turn my leg smacking it or a fall the right way could dig deep.

Is it generally accepted that this is one of the risks of biking? What do you guys do to ensure your ride doesn't end with stitches?
    Regarding the large ring: If you are riding clipped in, I think this is quite rare. Do you find yourself scraping your calf against the single ring you have now?

If you are really worried about it, get a bash-guard in place of the big ring.

FD? I think that risk is extremely low. Never heard of anyone cutting themselves on that.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im in the same boat, just got a new bike and the chainring is sharp! I usually have on shin guards, but sometimes it's too hot. I think the bash guard will be the solution for me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Been SS'ing for a while and just got a geared 3 x 10 bike. During my first good trail ride yesterday one of my main worries was that I'd gash open the inside of my leg on not only the large chainring but also front derailleur. That thing is sharp and only an inch away from my inner leg during pedaling. Didn't have any issuesThere is your answer but I could see on a leaning left turn my leg smacking it or a fall the right way could dig deep.

Is it generally accepted that this is one of the risks of biking? What do you guys do to ensure your ride doesn't end with stitches?Ride smoothly and in control
    About the only time it becomes an issue is during a slow speed twisting fall....

Oh yeah and SS have the same problem in those falls.

addicted to chunk
    Bash guard!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ya, bash guard, it will give you peace of mind at the very least.

'Tis but a scratch
    You are really worrying about something unnecessarily. A bashguard's purpose is to avoid bashing up your chainring on rocks and such. Its not a leg protector. I guess if it makes you feel better then spend some $. But, as said already, you are not going to get eaten up while pedaling. But, in a crash situation...who knows.

PS I kind of like the grease tattoo. Especially when you can really make out a good arc of several teeth.

mtbr member
    Yes I ride clipped in and I never thought about it on the Monocog because that truvativ crank had a sort of bash guard stock on it. I think I'm gonna suck it up and pay attention not get sliced. Don't really want to remove any rings at this time, I like having all these gears!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Why is this even an issue? Just get some shin pads. You'll never regret wearing them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I "discovered" my big ring a few weeks ago. Lately I have been using it regularly when going downhill. It quiets down chain rattle a lot, and I find it helps to add a little power on the little flat and uphill areas -- I feel more in control if I have this option available to me.

And, if you crash you will be protected from the teeth by the chain. That said, I have received several bike injuries, but none from the big ring.

BTW, I read Ned Overend's Mountain Bike Like a Champion book and he likes his big ring too. Give it a try!

mtbr member
    It's not really a gash...

I didn't even know I did it until it was pointed out to me while I was taking a break. I was riding clipped in that day and flopped over at one point without getting out. Must have somehow done it during that little event.

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    It's not really a gash...

I didn't even know I did it until it was pointed out to me while I was taking a break. I was riding clipped in that day and flopped over at one point without getting out. Must have somehow done it during that little event.
    And it's on the outside of your leg, not the inside against the ring! That's where I got mine too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    And it's on the outside of your leg, not the inside against the ring! That's where I got mine too!
    You noticed!

LOL, thought I was the only one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I dont see why this is an issue, been riding on and off since I was about 5 years old. never had this issue with any of the bikes I had or rode. I am not worried about it. I just figure if it happens, it was gonna happen regardless.

I have however had the grease tatoos, but so far no cuts or gashes from the chain ring.

If you think about it, if you remove the outer most one, you are not getting rid of the problem, you will still have an outer most ring that this could happen to you on anyway, so no matter what, you will have the chance of the ring bitting you. The only thing you will accomplish by romoving the out ring is lessening the amount of gears you have available to you while you ride.

mtbr member
    I was reading this thread a couple of days ago and thought- in all my year of riding (just started mtn biking last July at the ripe age of 39) this hasn't happened to me yet.

Well it did yesterday on a ride, hit a rock with the right pedal on the down stroke and it tossed the rear of the bike to the left. Some how I gathered it up and ended up on my feet with the bike still between my legs.

Didn't know I was wounded until I got back to the trail head. Mine is on the inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-chain-ring-tracks.jpg  

09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Especially when you can really make out a good arc of several teeth.
    I wish I had taken pictures, but a while back I was trying to get my old pedals off to put new ones on. Hercules must have put the old ones on. I had my bike upside down, leaning over it, all my weight on the wrench, the pedal finally broke free, I fell forward over the bike right onto the big chain ring. It looked like a shark had attacked me. Lesson learned from that was to put the chain on the biggest ring when removing the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    Did this a couple weeks ago, I had stopped for something, went to get moving again and somehow managed to twist my leg underneath the chain ring. It was only when I get home that I actually noticed it was fairly deep, and only then did it become painful as I tried to wash the grease/dirt out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Man those cuts

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how about this - Bike Leg Strap - Leg Shield

Suckin wind like a boss
    just wait til you have to scrape hair and meat off the middle ring.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Just Ride
    Your mountain biking. Gashes come with the game. As do cuts, scrapes, bumps, bruises, and the occasional broken bone. You could possibly even die in certain circumstances. HTFU and ride!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Proud American
    I got the gash a few times. Still have the marks. I've removed the large ring and replaced with a bash guard. I'm very happy with that decision and you will be too. It's rare to 'need' the big ring. I don't miss it at all and now ride with out that concern. Never get a bloody leg anymore. By the way... The gash would usually happen when dismounting in a 'hairy' situation and having the bike continue with forward momentum allowing big ring to smash into lower leg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast