1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine is always right on the back of my leg. I haven't had as many problems with that this year. Last year the back of my leg was always sliced open. Maybe I am wearing those gears down now. LOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Invest in a bashguard and shinguards

Chainrings and calfs don't mix well!! Just tore a 1/4 inch deep 8 CM long gash in my leg this afternoon.....13 stitches later, off the bike for 1 - 2 months, which in Oregon's sunny summers is precious and rainless time to lose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-photo-7-.jpg  

Serenity now!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBPDX View Post
    Chainrings and calfs don't mix well!! Just tore a 1/4 inch deep 8 CM long gash in my leg this afternoon.....13 stitches later, off the bike for 1 - 2 months, which in Oregon's sunny summers is precious and rainless time to lose.
    Not sure why that little scrape would keep you OTB for 1-2 months!

mtbr member
    Time to dredge this up and report that I had opted to ride as is no bash guard. Lots of on and off road riding since, and it happened! Of course it didn't happen riding, but when putting it up in the stand Very mild.

mtbr member
    **it happens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-uploadfromtaptalk1348576506067.jpg  

'12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If anyone is still on the fence about getting a bash guard I would STRONGLY recommend it. This happened when I wasn't even on the bike after successfully making it down a fairly complicated run. I was standing with my feet down on either side of my bike trying to turn it around on some loose rocks when it lurched forward.

Initially i thought the pedal had spun around and hit me in the back of the calf.. but no, it was the razor sharp teeth on the outer ring. I was probably about a mile away from any major road. I tied my shirt around my leg and coasted on my bike/hobbled to a trail exit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-img_20120629_212826.jpg  

Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-img_20120629_212833.jpg  

Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-img_20120702_212226.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    And the stitches..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avoiding a gash on your leg from 3rd chainring / Front Derailleur-img_20120702_212226.jpg  

banned
    Aug 2012
    Kill the bike, and live another day ... That's been my motto for decades.
    Get the heck away from it, if at all posssible.

Damn trekkyrider
    I can feel that through on my monitor.

mtbr member
    trekkyrider,
    I feel your pain (literally). Had a very similar cut, but near my ankle. Had to ride home on one leg. Another couple fractions of an inch and the tendon would have been cut. Not fun having sand and grease swabbed out of there with betadine.

Just remembering it makes me want to convert the new bike to 2x. Rarely use the fleshsaw ring anyway…

Heal fast and well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ha yeah I was worried i'd gotten a tendon or the muscle but fortunately it was just fat tissue. THe most painful part was the intramuscular antibiotic shot. That was like pumping liquid fire into my entire leg.

I haven't missed the large ring. I'm thinking about getting the chain adjusted though because I've been noticing quite a bit of chain slap that occasionally pops the chain into another gear.

mtbr member
    Yeah, forgot about the shot part. I had to get six internal stitches and twelve external. Soon after the stitches were out my girlfriend and I had a fight, I got drunk and kicked something which opened the cut:

Since it couldn't be restitched, I had to let it fill in. Wish I could go back 20 years and tell myself not to be such an ass. Please note the small scab, where I got bit again a few weeks ago

Back on topic, thanks again for the reminder. I think I smell a new order from Race Face coming up. The question is basic black, or blue to match the bike.

mtbr member
    I got gashed down my calf too with platforms. I hit the bottom of a drop and my leg ripped right
    down the ring when I hit the bottom. Now it's clipless and 2x bash for me. The clipless pedals
    seem enough on their own though. I like the bash on the rocks and trees mainly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2