1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Avid Single Digit 7's

I have a slight delima. I just bought a 2003 Jamis Dakar. It came with some tektro v brakes, and they are god awful. I just happen to have 2 extra wheelsets for rim brakes that I have accumulated over the past year (free) And they are pretty decent wheels. Should I upgrade the V brakes with some Avid Single Digit 7's? They are cheap, I can get front and rear as well as speed dial 7 levers for $50. That way I have 2 sets of backup wheels in the event I destroy a wheel. I could sell the wheelsets and get some bb7's, but then in the event I trash a wheel, I will not have a backup. My question is are the Single Digis 7's any good? Are they worth the $50?

mtbr member
    I guess I could of asked this is the brake section, but I am still kind of a noob so I think the beginner section is ok.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    I guess I could of asked this is the brake section, but I am still kind of a noob so I think the beginner section is ok.
    You are right. It's okay. Beginners should be able to ask anything without some jerk jumping on them. The Beginner's Corner is perfect.

I don't know anything about the Avid single digit brakes. Maybe someone with first-hand experience will post soon on the OP question.

Picture Unrelated
    Avid's single digit brakes are very good V-brakes. I'm not sure you will see a vast improvement over your Tektro brakes though. Your Tektros might not be the highest tech brakes but they should perform adequately if set up properly. Check your pad alignment and make sure you're hitting square and with all the pad. If your brake pads are old, they get hard and stop more poorly. No matter what V-brakes you choose, put Kool Stop pads on it, they're the best. If you keep the Tektros, put Kool Stops on them immediately. Also check to make sure your braking surface is free of contaminates. You might consider cleaning it up with a scotch brite pad and some isopropyl. You'll have to "bed" in the pads again, but it might help get rid of any contaminates.

I'm not sure that having a backup wheelset is especially important. I would focus on keeping one decent pair and making sure you keep them true and tensioned. A true and tensioned wheel will last through anything short of a crash. I would say that you might be happier with the BB7s, but properly set up V brakes are just fine. I have LX Vs on my hardtail and they're just fine for me. You might experience some more fatigue with the V brakes over very long downhill sections, but they stop just fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Thanks zebrahum, im aware of the kool stop salmon pads. I ordered some as soon as I bought the bike.

The pads are making good contact with the rim and the wheels are very clean, the previous owner took very good care of the bike. It may be the pads, I really havent checked the "hardness."

I like to go against the grain and it seems like everyone runs disc these days, and I dont ride when its muddy b/c it totally thrashes the trails here so I may go with the Single Digit 7's.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Thanks zebrahum, im aware of the kool stop salmon pads. I ordered some as soon as I bought the bike.

The pads are making good contact with the rim and the wheels are very clean, the previous owner took very good care of the bike. It may be the pads, I really havent checked the "hardness."

I like to go against the grain and it seems like everyone runs disc these days, and I dont ride when its muddy b/c it totally thrashes the trails here so I may go with the Single Digit 7's.
    Maybe I'll put it this way: if you're having enough trouble with the Tektros to start a thread about it, I doubt you're going to improve the braking by buying Single Digits. The braking power upgrade from Tektro to SD7 is minor, if you really want an upgrade in "power" then you should seriously consider a move to BB7s.

Like you, we don't ride in the mud here because it is incredibly damaging to the trails. The power, the ease of ownership, and the consistent nature is why most people are choosing disc brakes these days. There's nothing wrong with V-brakes but that doesn't mean that the invasion of disc brakes is unfounded.

It is my opinion that if you are having trouble with your current brakes and they are set up properly, upgrading to another V-brake will not solve your problem. Another potential low cost solution could be adding a brake booster (which seems to be more difficult to find these days).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I def understant where you are coming from zebrahum. Im going to take your sound advice and just throw some kool stop salmon pads on and call it a day. Save sup some $$ and get the BB7's.