1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Avid Elixir 3: How to remove spacer from hydraulic disc brake caliper?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to assemble my MTB and it came with Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brake with a spacer in between the brake pads. I was wondering how I can remove the spacer? Below is the image of the spacer. Thanks!

Avid Elixir 3: How to remove spacer from hydraulic disc brake caliper?-wfv79gj.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid Elixir 3: How to remove spacer from hydraulic disc brake caliper?-2013-09-13-00.48.27.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just pull it out they are handy to have for when you need to take the wheel of and they just push in and pull out

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Just pull it out they are handy to have for when you need to take the wheel of and they just push in and pull out
    the spacer is sandwiched in between the brake pads kind of tight, I'm afraid ill break the brake pads or something if I just pull the spacer. Don't I have to loosen the brake pads first or something? I mean if I just pull it out, wouldn't the brake pads come in contact with each other? Ahh maybe I'm just overthinking

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    na, just overthinking. brakes are pretty tough and the spacer is wedge shaped so will loosen up straight away.

mtbr member
    Excalibur elixir 3
    Avid Elixir 3: How to remove spacer from hydraulic disc brake caliper?-brake.jpeg
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ^^^lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    Excalibur elixir 3
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake.jpeg 
Views:	237 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	831592

Now removing that Excalibur "Elixir 3" would prove to be the REAL challenge.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    I mean if I just pull it out, wouldn't the brake pads come in contact with each other? Ahh maybe I'm just overthinking
    The brake pads only close when you pull the brake lever. The spacer is there during shipping just in case someone pulls a brake lever without the rotor in place. Pull out that spacer and put the wheel on. I keep a spacer around in case I need to store the bike without a wheel on, just stuff it back in between the pads.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?