1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Avid Elixir 1 Hidraulic brakes? Better than Tektro I0?

Ok so the question is. Would the avid elixir 1 be consider an upgrade to my current tektro I0 brakes? I would like to upgrade my brakes but don't know if the elixir 1 would be better that my current ones. I found them on eBay for $94 shipped from HK complete set with HS1 rotors

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Tektro on my wifes Trek Marlin were and are junk, thankfully I got trek to replace them with some Shimano Hydrualics and then put some Avid rotors on it.

I would dump anything with the Tektro name on it in my eyes.

No Stranger to danger....
    I can only comment on the Avid elixir 1s here, i have them on one of my bikes and i will upgrade soon and move away from Avids all together.
    They do the job but are the bottom of the range as far as elixirs go, i think you would have to have a pretty average set of breaks to call the elixir 1s an upgrade on anything, imo a shimano set for the same value will give you better value for money.
    In between my pads sticking and not retracting all the way back even after having cleaned them out very well, squealing coming from my rotors even with brand new organic well adjusted pads, the stopping power is not the best ive used, good luck
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It seems like your are saving money but what will actually happen is--- you would be making your eventual purchase of an SLX set $94 dollars more expensive. Bikecomponents.de has the best price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    It burns...it burns...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

I'd do the same with anything that says "Avid" on it. All OP would be doing is replacing junk with different junk. Probably worse junk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hmm Tektro IO are mechanical brakes.. so going to Elixir 1s should be a significant upgrade. Nevertheless with all the negativity around Avid brakes lately I'd skip Elixirs and go directly to Shimano. You can't go wrong with Deores 596, SLX 666 are another set to consider but are a bit more expensive.

mtbr member
    I have '12 Elixir 1's with HS1 rotors that came on my bike, they are ok, but do the 'Avid warble' noise at slow speed stops, and the factory bleed seems to need improvement. I will be bleeding mine this week to see how they improve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You could always go BB7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok so if my budget is $150 to $200 for a new set of brakes what shimano ones should I get? I would really like to try hydraulic.

Or should I just go with the bb7? Found them on eBay for $74 a set of front and back with hs1 rotors
    Last edited by aquito; 10-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Cow Clicker
    What do you not like about your current brakes and what kind of bike will these be going on?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't like that I have to adjust them almost every run and they don't brake at all. They are going on my stock windsor 29er SS fully rigid

So the 2 options I was really looking at was elixir 1 or bb7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shimano SLX Disc Brake BR-M675 front
    Shimano SLX Scheibenbremse BR-M675 hinten
    + $26 shipping on any amount. $185. total.
    Euro levers are reversed to US like on a motorcycle. You can swap the lines.
    Do not bother getting a lower spec level.
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.

backwoods and backwards
    I'm in the minority... I've never had a problem with any of my avid hydros other than the noise ( I currently have them on my Blindside and Stumpy29) Since we don't have a lot of dusty conditions here in CT even the common squeal of the avids isn't so much of a problem. I think a big part of my good luck has been because my bikes have been built up at REALLY good shops so they've been bled again before I get them. I have one set of shimanos and while they are quiet, I think the braking power of my avids is better.

BB7's are still probably the best option for $100. I just picked up an old downhill frame to build up as a shuttle- loaner for friends and will probably runn bb7's on it. A couple of hints... Run high quallity full-length cable housings with any mechanical brake. Lose the flimsy brake levers that come on Bikesdirect type bikes( avid single-digit direct pull type levers are great).
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have Elixir 1's on my DJ bike with a G2 140mm rotor. They make 0 amounts of noise and brake excellent for the level of brake they are. I would not say any Shimano, Hayes, Etc would offer any better performance at the same price level. I do agree that the majority of the Elixir series is a rather sub par brake though. I feel the Elixir 1 is the best of the line...maybe due to the master cylinder design difference. I still use a set of Juicy 7's as well. Factory bleed on Avids is junk. Find a shop that knows what they are doing, have them bleed the brakes and enjoy.

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by abselmbum View Post
    Therefore start making your goal of becoming an acoustic guitar person currently
    Talked me into it....I'm learning to play guitar!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for all the advice guys. i went with bb7 with hs1 rotors for $74 shipped from hong kong.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    Certainly the most cost-effective change. You'll still have to screw around with the pad adjusters some. So set your expectations accordingly.

I don't know the Elixir 1. I have the 5s on my bike. I installed them two or three years ago and pretty much forgot about them except when I have to change pads until earlier this summer, when I needed to get them bled. I'm not sure how the 1 compares - when I got my brakes, the 5 was still the bottom of the line.

Regardless, good luck.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bed them in with 7-10 repeated near stops on a paved hill.