1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Australia = phun
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    405

    Avid Disc Brakes: What does the bb mean in the bb5/bb7?

    Title explains all except: I've heard that there are avid ball bearing disc brakes for 99, and they are good. Very good. So, I looked up on JensonUSA, and Googled it, but I COULDN'T find the ball bearing brakes. Does BB mean ball bearing?

    I want these brakes:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...6_1507crx.aspx

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim
    Does BB mean ball bearing?
    Yes.

    Avid has BB7 and BB5 disk brakes, in Mountain and Road versions. Go for BB7 (Mountain version).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chris_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Are Avid BB's beter than Avid Juicy?

  4. #4
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_uk
    Are Avid BB's beter than Avid Juicy?
    Not usually, but many people prefer the ability to have a system you can have a little more field serviceability from. If you're out in the woods and you blow a hydraulic line, well there's very little you can do. If you mess up a cable brake well maybe you could ride with a spare brake cable and some wire cutters or something.

    Personally, I would rather have a hydraulic brake to a cable brake. Far less fussing with pads because the hydraulics self adjust for wear. On mechanicals you need to manually adjust for pad wear with the dials and barrel adjusters.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,671
    Yes the BB in the BB7 and BB5 names stands for Ball Bearing. The torque arm that the cable connects to is connected to a plate with 3 tapered groves in it. The plate rides on 3 ball bearings. As the torque arm rotates the bearings in the counter clock wise direction the groves get shallower and force the outboard pad mount into the rotor until the rotor hits the inboard plate. Up until Avid came up with the ball bearing system, mechanical disc brakes had very a very poor heavy feel at the lever. The BB system smoothed out lever pull and made for a feel that isn't any different than a set of good Vbrakes. It's actually a very simple system and very reliable.

    The brake that you link to are BB7's. Though the picture isn't accurate anymore, they're no longer silver in color. Current BB7s have a dark gray finish. If you want mechanical disc brakes though, there isn't a better brake out there.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    63
    bb=better brakes
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    Big Black
    :wq

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    If you mess up a cable brake well maybe you could ride with a spare brake cable and some wire cutters or something.
    It's not that it's easier to fix in the field (though it is), it's that a cable can take much more damage before the brake is disabled. If a hydraulic cable even gets nicked, the brake is out of service.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Big Black
    win.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,138
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    It's not that it's easier to fix in the field (though it is), it's that a cable can take much more damage before the brake is disabled. If a hydraulic cable even gets nicked, the brake is out of service.

    Yeah that is it....5 years on hydraulic brakes no leaks or damage yet....

    Would have had to replace cables several times due to salt in the winter.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yeah that is it....5 years on hydraulic brakes no leaks or damage yet....

    Would have had to replace cables several times due to salt in the winter.
    Yes, and if your bike were subjected to the wear and crashes of singletrack riding, then maybe you'd have had more issues. If you rode singletrack you'd probably have fewer problems with road salt eating your cables as well .

    Personally, I've had my brake line nicked in a crash and consequently lost my front brake.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,138
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Yes, and if your bike were subjected to the wear and crashes of singletrack riding, then maybe you'd have had more issues. If you rode singletrack you'd probably have fewer problems with road salt eating your cables as well .

    Personally, I've had my brake line nicked in a crash and consequently lost my front brake.

    Yeah I never ride single track.

    But then you seem to crash a lot.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yeah I never ride single track.

    But then you seem to crash a lot.
    Then what value does your experience carry if you don't see the conditions the vast majority of mountain bikers ride?

    So? I push myself, and it means I sometimes crash. Again, if you rode singletrack, you'd probably crash more as well.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubikeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    531
    If you want BB7's, go to Blue Sky Cycling (link below). They have a combo deal that's impossible to beat. You get Speed Dial 7 levers, Front and Rear BB7's, an upgraded pair of 160 mm G2 rotors, and Shimano cables! For $120! I picked up a set just to have. I'm a little frustrated with the current offering of hydros on the market (waiting to see what comes out for 2011).

    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm

    You won't be disappointed.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    If you want the brakes to feel really good, then make sure to use compressionless cable housing, like Jagwire Ripcord or Avid Flak Jacket. It makes the brakes feel more firm, and will give you more power.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,138
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Then what value does your experience carry if you don't see the conditions the vast majority of mountain bikers ride?First of all the vast majority of mountain bikers donot ride single track

    So? I push myself, and it means I sometimes crash. Again, if you rode singletrack, you'd probably crash more as well.
    Yeah I never ride single track and I never crash...

    Oh yeah and I have never cut a hydro hose, nor seen anyone else cut hose...

    But I sure have seen mechanical cables requiring replacement.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    First of all the vast majority of mountain bikers donot ride single track.
    It's sad you think that.

  18. #18
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    845
    I own

    BB7 Mtn, BB7 Road, Juicy 5s, and Elixer CR

    The hydros are much less maintence than the mechanicals and the only issue I have ever had was broken lever due to a crash into a tree.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman
    If you want BB7's, go to Blue Sky Cycling (link below). They have a combo deal that's impossible to beat. You get Speed Dial 7 levers, Front and Rear BB7's, an upgraded pair of 160 mm G2 rotors, and Shimano cables! For $120!


    But check the prices on the individual pieces first. I picked up a set of BB7's with SD7's from Blue Sky with the Jagwire instead of Shimano cables for just a few $$ more.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yeah I never ride single track.

    But then you seem to crash a lot.

    I'm not a mountain biker, but I play one on the interwebs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •