1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

On average, when you crash, what part of your body hits the ground first

I have a helmet and gloves.
    So that covers hitting my head and landing on my hands...

What is the next body part you would consider buying pertection for?
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride with a helmet and gloves. No other protection. Last time I crashed and hurt something I landed on my tail bone hard. Not sure what kind of protection would helped that. I don't use elbow or knee pads since I don't want to drag those around with me when riding. I am not going to say I never crash, but I don't do so infrequently enough to deal with pads like that. I ride hard, but try to avoid crashing.

So guys wear a lot of pads because they try all the hard lines are more apt to crash and they know it.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Knees. I finally got a pair of leg warmers and double them over my knees. When I wipe out in a turn, the two layers of fabric slide over each other rather than skin my knee.

Last crash, my shin was a bloody mess below where the leg warmer was, but my knee didn't have a scratch on it. No problem with the shin scrape -- that heals easily since there is no flexing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    SixSixOne has a pair of shorts w/tail bone pad..and side thie pads 50bucks
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my experience:
    Full-face helmet +gloves.
    Then
    Knees/Shins
    Elbows/forearms.
    Shoulders/sides/back

Then full body armour.

Carbon or Commie?
    I tend to go with feet first, then thigh/hip, then hands and start rolling if necessary.

So... I'd recommend shoes that will protect your little toe from breakage and shorts (of the non-lycra type) that won't rip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks !!
    Shoes is a great topic.
    I'm thinking a good waterproof lightweight hiking shoe. Hi-Tec shoes for example have a shoe like that. They are not MTB specipic shoes but I figure my platforemes will stick to any shoe so waterproof sounds good. Does that equal pinkie toe security lol

I just got an envite to ride a single track in NWest Cali this weekend (brother in-law got me into some s**t I don't knowLOL) anyway just think I might need a bit more than gloves and a helmet hahaha maybe some shots of JD after LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Cow Clicker
    Shoulder
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    what ^he^ said

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wouldn't go out and buy some shoes that aren't mountain bike shoes to ride my mountain bike. I already have shoes that aren't mountain bike shoes. Running shoes work fine in a pinch.

I don't fall that much anymore, but I tend to cut up my forearms or my hips if I break the skin. I do own a pair of shin guards - I think they're nice to have when I ride with flat pedals. That's a relatively common and quite painful incident. Doesn't even need a fall! In retrospect, I might have been better off getting knee/shin guards. While it's very rare for me to hit my knee, it's very painful if I do and people have some horror stories. If I put the flats on my bike, it's probably to ride a skills park. So I'm usually working less hard, but also at a little greater risk.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

FKA Malibu412
    I don't fall often, but when I do, knees and elbows tend to get it often so some protection there would help. I've broken my right thumb the last two summers so it seems I tend to smack my right hand on a hard surface pretty regularly. Padded gloves made little difference.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've been tempted to pick up a pair of those g-form knee pads. They look perfect for lighter use.

mtbr member
    knees! hurt those 10x more than any other body part.

reading comprehension wat
    Your body instinctively protects your head from impact, putting arms in front and arching the spine, from the lower back all the way to the skull, away from the ground.

When you're quickly moving across the ground, it's your palms, arms, hips, shoulders, and knees that get the "road rash" (or torn open or gouged, if totally unprotected). Don't skimp on gloves. After gloves, knee pads are prob best, then elbow, then light shoulder padding (ex. 661 Subgear), then maybe hip shorts. Start with low profile, then work up to heavier duty stuff. If you look like a NFL player, don't blame us if some random person tackles you.

There are some reviews that say G-Form pads don't help with damage (abrasions AKA road rash) from high speed crashes, and don't do much for punctures, and are more for direct impacts. They make more sense on smooth rock and asphalt. I sort of agree. I imagine they protect from impacts that would cause bruises best. A lot of other pads include something that tries to deflect sharp rocks and slide on smooth surfaces, like a shield/shell, with cushioning to absorb the blow. It's better than bare skin, but I get the impression that it's not much better than thick cloth for mtn biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

On average, when you crash, what part of your body hits the ground first

Don't fall much but my pedals get my shins nearly every ride. This past ride I did a jump, my foot fell off the pedal and my shin caught it as I landed. So I'd have to say that's the most of my worries. I should buy some knee/ shin protecters.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Picture Unrelated
    Have to agree with Andrw, if you're buying shoes to ride your bike with then don't buy non-bike shoes. The thick soles, ramped angle, and lugs of a typical hiking shoe or boot make them poor choices for cycling. You can buy worse shoes, but there are a lot of better options. Want protection from your shoes? Buy 5.10 impacts.

I seem to land on my elbows and shoulders first but I land on my knees harder. So if I'm choosing pads I'll usually grab knees first but if I feel like there's more danger than just knees then the full face, neck brace, knee/shins, and elbow pads come out. I've been riding in some places where riders wear shin pads just due to the brush and overgrowth on the sides of trails so be smart and choose what's appropriate for where you'll be riding.

If I were riding a non-DH trail with pedaling involved but with the liklihood of pads being needed I would either strap my knee/shins to my pack for the ride up or I would get some flexible knee pads for pedaling. The best I've used are the terrifyingly expensive 661 D3O pads (think they're called "Evo"). Total range of motion and great crash protection.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think chances of falling on any specific part of the body are almost equal. However, I think the knees have the greatest chance of being seriously injured. A friend of mine landed on his knee and snapped the tendon that holds his knee cap in place, plus a cracked knee cap. Maybe the ACL? Anyways, he is still recovering 7 months later. He was on all kinds of pain killers and limping for a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks All!!
    Good stuff to learn "the easy way" lol
    I will be sure to watch out for someone trying to tackle me LOL that was funnnnay :-)
    I have been biking with a pair of "all terrain" running shoes that seem to stick real well to my platforms. I'll have to try on a pair of thease 5.10 shoes everyone loves so much here..
    Maybe i'll just crash a few times first to find out were my owee spots are lol
    Knee and forarm I think...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

psycho cyclo addict
    I don't crash very often these days but when I do, the most likely spot I hit the ground first with is just below my right hip. I tend to try and stay with the bike if I'm not going over the bars.

mtbr member
    Landing on a knee, or the side of a knee, sucks. I won't go on a trail without knee protection. Modern knee pads aren't that cumbersome. Absolutely worth it
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    First thing that i usually hurt when i crash is my pride...
    not sure what i could get to protect that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yaa I'm thinking knee pads too...I don't have alot of extra cash to get this gear all at once so every payday I'll pick up something then eventually I'll be that footbal player looking to get tackled and survive the ordeal LOL
    When I was 19 and MTB ridding I only wore shorts shoes and gloves..no shirt no helmet balls out down the path...ahh what fun it is to be young
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crunky View Post
    First thing that i usually hurt when i crash is my pride...
    not sure what i could get to protect that.
    LOL Whiskey
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I usually roll after a crash. I think my back usually takes some hard hits from that, my camelbak protects my back nicely. After that my shins/knees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ahhh Cool!! I CAN use pertection as an excuse to buy a killer backpack!! Thanks! Oh wifey I need a back protecter LOL I was looking at thoe Osprey in my LBS the other day!! FSweeeet
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast