1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Aussie needing Help with an ollld Canondale F-600!

Hi all,

I am after some information on err "restoring" my bike.

Its a 1995 (I think) Cannondale F600. I's been sitting for some time and has been treated badly, I'd like to start riding again and need a new rear derailer as the one on it is mangled...

Problem is I have no idea what I am looking for, I am fairly mechanically minded so will do the work myself, but would like some advise on what derailer to buy, and anyting else I need to do to get the bike in decent condition again?

Should I be looking at new front derailer as well? new chain? brakes? grips? tires? anything else!? And any advise on specific rear derailers would be great!

Keeping in mind its only going to be a free ride bike, I dont need anything too special...

mtbr member
    Depends on the shifters. If you have Shimano Shifters you need a Shimano Derailleur. If it is Sram you need a Sram Derailleur. If you going to replace a lot of stuff, you should just look at getting a new bike. Basic Shimano would be the Altus, Basic Sram would be the X.5.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    The problem you'll run into, having a 1995 m500 and m400 myself, is that they are a 7 speed. I don't know that more modern derailleurs will work in a 7 speed setup (someone?) so now your looking at changing out your: rear wheel, cassette, chain, derailer, & shifters. Which also may lead you into new front chain rings also? Price out some parts and see how deep you're getting and decide from there. I personally really like my M500, it fits me well, is light and climbs & tracks beautifully. I feel pretty confident in saying that I will re-use my frame with newer components when mine go. But we'll see when the time comes?
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    dérailleurs dont care how many gears you have, your shifter determines how far it will ultimately go. So if you get a 9 speed dérailleur and keep your 7 speed shifters you should be alright.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks heaps for the advice, similar to toyman I really like my F600, we have a long history together! I might try and price up some bits and pieces and see if its going to be worth it..

I currently have shimano shifters and currently running deore LX rear and STX R front Derailleur, maybe I will be better to just take it to a bike shop and ask them what they recommend..