1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Anyway to guess th size of a frame for my wife?

My wife's birthday is next week and I was thinking about getting her a bike. I would like it to be a supprise but I'm not sure what size frame will be best.
    She is 5'1 and I was hoping to get something that fits without having to take her to my LBS. I know they will let me return it if I had to but I would like to avoid that if possible.

mtbr member
    You should really take her to the shop to get fitted for a bike. Maybe just get her a gift certificat for the bike shop so she can pick out the bike herself.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, I am afraid that she will get sticker shock if I bring her there and she knows what I paid. It might be the only way I guess.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I think taking her to the shop is your best bet, too, unless you're familiar with the basics of frame sizing & geometry and have her height, reach, inseam, and various other measurements to plug in to an online bike fit calculator. Even then, without having experience with her on another known bike to use as a basis, it's a bit of a crap shoot.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

ride hard take risks
    14.5 or 15 should be really close at 5'1" can be a hard size to find in stock sometimes. What type of riding & bike are you looking at?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    id say you have a 95% chance of a 15/XS fitting her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    14.5 or 15 should be really close at 5'1" can be a hard size to find in stock sometimes. What type of riding & bike are you looking at?

For now I would be happy for her to do some bike trails and light paths, I ted to be a little more hardcore but I want her to be comfortable and get back into riding shape before we venture too far off road.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB
    For now I would be happy for her to do some bike trails and light paths, I ted to be a little more hardcore but I want her to be comfortable and get back into riding shape before we venture too far off road.
    Awesome I hope she sticks with it, some times a group ride helps out especially if you can find people that are willing to work with both of you to make the ride more enjoyable for her. I find talking with new riders letting them know it's all good just riding as a group they settle down & really get rippin, yes it takes time & patients but the pay off in the long run is worth it. If you can find a 14.5 that would possibly be a comfortable size for her giving her confidence with the stand over.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot