1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Anyone Use Helicopter or ISS Racing Tape Vinyl to Protect Frame?

Has anyone used Helicopter or ISC Racing Tape to protect their frame? I'm thinking about using this but have heard from some people that it will peel the clear coat off the bike's paint if you remove it? Please share your experiences.

I'm ultimately looking for a clear vinyl film to protect my bike. Crankskin is kind of expensive at $40.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yes I've used it, and it can peel clear coat/paint when you remove it. The stuff is tough and it stays put, but once in place it does like to stay where you put it. The adhesive used is quite strong. And that's a good thing, after all it is designed to stay in place in a slipstream where the air is moving at up to 200 mph. Anyway, your call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ive used it all over my RF frame. tape ive put in on the part of the frame that comes in contact with my THULE VERTEX BIKE RACK has come off but i have not seen any peeling of clear coat paint. i have just left it alone and plan to replace and check the frame paint after this season ends.

i think the easy and safe way to take the tape off is to use a blow-dryer (im not sure if im using the right term. but its the one my wife uses to dry her hair) set it warm but not too hot...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    If you want clear try clear fussion tape. It only sticks to its self so it will no peel clear coat but it can be used for spot shielding.
    here is an example
    http://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape clear/dp/B000ZTM734/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    If you want clear try clear fussion tape. It only sticks to its self so it will no peel clear coat but it can be used for spot shielding.
    here is an example
    http://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape clear/dp/B000ZTM734/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1

Do you have any pics of it on the bike? I'd like to see what it'll look like.

beater

Anyone Use Helicopter or ISS Racing Tape Vinyl to Protect Frame?

I have, and still have a couple feet left, but I didn't like it. It was noticeable on an anodized finish, and my current frame is raw, so there's no point. I might try it again if I get a painted frame.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    Do you have any pics of it on the bike? I'd like to see what it'll look like.
    I've actually only used it as a High Voltage insulator were I wanted to be able to visually inspect the connection. The Black version is very popular as a chain stay protector. It won't be a smooth finish since you have to overlap but is much less noticeable than an old innertube. It is also thick enough that it will damp the sound from chain slap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As anyone tried the 3M spray on clear bra?

Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I buy old Ipad screen protectors and cut them up to fit. They work great and ou can get them at most discount stores or some place like TJ max on clearance. I have used helicopter tape where my rack touches the top tube of my bike and it marred the finish a little bit, but not bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas View Post
    I buy old Ipad screen protectors and cut them up to fit. They work great and ou can get them at most discount stores or some place like TJ max on clearance. I have used helicopter tape where my rack touches the top tube of my bike and it marred the finish a little bit, but not bad.
    Marring .. hmm.. Did you remove the helicopter tape with heat gun/blow dryer? I'd think that by using them, it could soften the adhesive. Then you clean off the adhesive with liquid cleaner or something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I used helicopter tape on my Stumpjumper, after that I just bought the precut stuff from Frame skins for my Tallboy. I'd spent that money again without hesitation. Just a lot easier and nicer looking in the long run.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I use it. I use the 3m stuff and have it on a couple of my cars as well. I think it is worth it. I can't imagine it pulling off clear coat unless the paint was in bad shape or poor quality to begin with. You'll want to heat it up prior to removal and peel slowly.

Edit: I have heard of the spray 3m stuff but have never used it. That looks like the best DIY route... I'd question the longevity.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    x2 on the silicone tape. Stays put and leaves no residue or damage when removed. Comes in a few colors including clear. The clear tends to yellow after awhle. Amazon or ebay has them.