1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Anyone heard of this bike? TRD?

Here is a pic.. can't find any specs.. Just curious..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just a guess but I wager it means Toyota Racing Development. Basically that bike is a pile of crap that Toyota slapped a TRD sticker on to try and sell to there costumers. Its not worth buying if your wondering.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What dremer03 said. I posted last month about my neighbor's BMW-brand "mtb" which looks good but components-wise everyone pointed out was actually crap (which I kinda suspected anyway but still hoped were good enough for light XC).

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    What dremer03 said. I posted last month about my neighbor's BMW-brand "mtb" which looks good but components-wise everyone pointed out was actually crap (which I kinda suspected anyway but still hoped were good enough for light XC).
    One notch above a Roadmaster..
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

NO SHOX

Professional Speed Bump
    It might be missing some letters....maybe an "R" and an "E"...and maybe an "A" between the "T" and the "R" and an "ED" at the end.

too cold to ride
    Its missing the 'U'
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

I build my own.
    I'm not positive but that looks a lot like a bike my neighbor bought at Toys r Us about 10 years ago. It retailed for $139 or $169 Canadian (at the time maybe $99 USD).

He rode it for years on easy XC and it didn't break. I do remember it was incredibly heavy. I rode it one time and was really glad my Norco only weighed 46lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thanks fellas..

I sure wasn't sure what it was and don't want to get stuck on a bike that won't last, I had a bike that was given to me like that one mentioned Roadmaster, it didn't last me even a month of all the things I put it through. Well, it was a freebee and now it's time to get a bike that can handle the abuse. My neighbor who was an avid bike gave me a bike for my wife which is a 2006 Specialized Expedition Elite Women's. Just replaced the derailleur and got it tuned here at Livermore Cyclery and she's been loving it, hope I can find something that can keep up with her. . As for the following option, I'm hoping to obtain larger pictures.

I found another that might be a good starter.. any comments?

2001 Giant Warp DS3 Mountain Bike

24 speed Shimano drive train.
    Adjustable-compression front fork.
    Mechanical front disc brake.

Specifications:

frame: Aluminium Aluxx 6061 frame
    derailleur: Sram Grip Shift 3.0/4.0
    head set: Integrated A-head set
    rear suspension: Rebound adjustable rear shock
    front suspension: SR Suntour M8040 aluminium suspension front fork, 75mm travel
    brakes: Tektro V-Brakes, front / rear
    rims: Alex G3000 V-type aluminium double wall rims
    crank: SR Suntour crank set
    colour: Solid white / Black / Red

I build my own.
    Huh?

Where are you finding these and how much are they asking?

If your wife is riding a comfort bike and you want to keep up, I'd suggest a hardtail. I think you'll do better for your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBtoons
    I sure wasn't sure what it was and don't want to get stuck on a bike that won't last, I had a bike that was given to me like that one mentioned Roadmaster, it didn't last me even a month of all the things I put it through. Well, it was a freebee and now it's time to get a bike that can handle the abuse. My neighbor who was an avid bike gave me a bike for my wife which is a 2006 Specialized Expedition Elite Women's. Just replaced the derailleur and got it tuned here at Livermore Cyclery and she's been loving it, hope I can find something that can keep up with her. . As for the following option, I'm hoping to obtain larger pictures.

I found another that might be a good starter.. any comments?

2001 Giant Warp DS3 Mountain Bike

24 speed Shimano drive train.
    Adjustable-compression front fork.

Specifications:

frame: Aluminium Aluxx 6061 frame
    derailleur: Sram Grip Shift 3.0/4.0
    head set: Integrated A-head set
    rear suspension: Rebound adjustable rear shock
    front suspension: SR Suntour M8040 aluminium suspension front fork, 75mm travel
    rims: Alex G3000 V-type aluminium double wall rims
    crank: SR Suntour crank set
    colour: Solid white / Black / Red

if you can find a good hardtail, you'll get more for your money.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

mtbr member
    TRD doesnt make bikes, someone just painted a crappy dept. sore bike and slapped the sticker. TRD stands for Toyota Racing Development they make OEM performance parts for Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars haha.
    2010 GT Avalanche 1.0
    -Ergon GP1's

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Poor advertising on Toyota's part. why would anyone name a truck OR a bicycle a T*RD? Doesn't sound like a good sales campaign.
    So you think you can jump!

Still surfin in my 60's.
    P.S. fattybikejones, I RIDE A ROADMASTER,WANT TO MAKE SUMPIN OF IT? Actually, when you are unemployed and you and your wife are living on less than $300 a week, you'll ride whatever you got. I would really like to get a better bike, but in the mean time I'm getting some enjoyment out of my "off-road" Roadmaster. Anythings better that nothing.
    So you think you can jump!