1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Anyone have or are familiar with the Sette hydration packs ?

Hey looking into these hydration packs. I have used other sette/price point products and have been very happy.
    Anyone have one of these hydration packs and if so are they any good ?

Professional Speed Bump
    Yes, I have one.

This one, to be more specific:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...stem-100oz.htm

It was great...until it started falling apart.

The straps that goes around the waste and the chest was the first to go, then the straps that secure the pocket outside the web...then the zippers.

It pretty much fell apart in about a year.

I've since switched to Camelbak. No complaints.

Made in Canada
    I have one, and have used it for a few years now. It has held up very well (although in the past couple years it has experienced less riding because of school). I still use it now with no issues at all (despite needing a new bladder). I'd say its a good deal, works well, for the price you really can't go wrong.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dam two opposite opinions , lol . wish i could just make my northface pack into a hydration pack !
    maybe we can get a tie breaker ... i have a feeling i should go with a camelbak mule .

desicions , desicions

Professional Speed Bump
    If you're careful, I'm sure it will last. But I'm a little rough on my bike stuff. Also, it seems that the threads they use are weak because the straps basically just tore off where they were sewn to the bag. Although, the link I provided is the exact same bag that I have, they might have possibly fixed this issue if enough people complained.

Or maybe I just have bad luck with Sette products because I've had more stuff break on me:
    - Sette multi-tool: 3 of 4 allen tips on the tool just snapped off
    - Sette tire lever: hook tip broke off after 3 uses
    - Sette alloy crank bolts: 2 of 5 cracked during installation from less than 4nm torque

I've had no trouble with:
    - Sette Lynx Saddle
    - Sette knee warmers
    - Sette 8 panel shorts

I guess just avoid Sette products that may receive rough treatment.

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon View Post
    If you're careful, I'm sure it will last. But I'm a little rough on my bike stuff. Also, it seems that the threads they use are weak because the straps basically just tore off where they were sewn to the bag. Although, the link I provided is the exact same bag that I have, they might have possibly fixed this issue if enough people complained.

Or maybe I just have bad luck with Sette products because I've had more stuff break on me:
    - Sette multi-tool: 3 of 4 allen tips on the tool just snapped off
    - Sette tire lever: hook tip broke off after 3 uses
    - Sette alloy crank bolts: 2 of 5 cracked during installation from less than 4nm torque

I've had no trouble with:
    - Sette Lynx Saddle
    - Sette knee warmers
    - Sette 8 panel shorts

I guess just avoid Sette products that may receive rough treatment.
    To be fair I had the smaller hydration pack, meaning I a different design and I can carry a smaller load so theoretically less stress on the pack. I'm not a big user of Sette stuff but from what I've seen its hit and miss, the shoes/cleats I have (Element?) work awesome and are very durable, but I had a chain tensioner from them that really sucked.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    You didn't ask but just in case someone wants to know. I just bought a small 50oz water pack. It was only 39.00 and seemed sufficient.

Problems I've experienced:
    1. Water enters from the side (when filling, have to hold it sideways), HUGE pain in the butt
    2. Amt of water is fine for a 1 hour ride, nothing more for me
    3. Can only fit keys, my Iphone BARELY fits in the pocket.
    4. Pocket gets wet from the water, so have to put iphone in a zip bag and it's a PAIN to get it in. TIGHT.
    5. When I want to ride to the pool, etc, I have to put the water pack into a backpack. I wish I had upgraded to the 85 dollar one that would hold more and fill from the top.

I've only had it 3 weeks, but these were my observations.
    Started in 2011, Noob Rider - Live & ride in Steiner Ranch- I ride slow- @ 6-11mph, uphills@2-3mph.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pretty much the same story here. Mine started slowly unravelling within 2 months of ownership.
    Went with a Camelback Rogue this time around and have been very pleased so far.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I don't have any experience with Sette, but I have always been a long time user of Camelbak back in my hiking days. They work great and are built with surperb quailty nylon.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterz99 View Post
    wish i could just make my northface pack into a hydration pack !
    you can buy a bladder and put it into almost any pack. I have one I put in my Northface when I go on long hikes and need to carry more "stuff" than my camelbak holds.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.