1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    79

    Anyone else OCD like me?

    I really like my new UCC Dynamite front suspension bike. However, I cannot help but lust over the better, full suspension models with better frames and components, that pass me daily. I cannot afford one yet, but I really wish I had one. It almost makes me hate my bike, which is silly, because it is a great bike. Anyone else OCD like this?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenCanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    109
    I do have OCD. I really do. I clean my chain with a toothbrush and a toothpick. I like the air vents in my car to all point in the same direction and if they aren't, my sanity leaves me. Fingerprints on my clean Pilsner glass drives me crazy. I curse my computer that it doesn't have "that's" in the dictionary and I have to add the apostrophe myself every time, rather than right-click. My chair sits in the corner of my room at a perfect 45 degree angle, and it annoys me that even still it doesn't point directly to the opposite corner of the room (the room isn't square). When I ride my bike, that's my release. I ride through the mud, lift off jumps at odd angles, run into trees because I don't give a crap about that one apex - just so long as I go all Flash Gordon on it. There is a lot of science and precision in mountain biking, yes, but apply that to your tune ups and ride the piss out of your bike. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by GreenCanoe; 12-19-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: My OCD proof reading found a grammatical error.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,570
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatt View Post
    I really like my new UCC Dynamite front suspension bike. However, I cannot help but lust over the better, full suspension models with better frames and components, that pass me daily. I cannot afford one yet, but I really wish I had one. It almost makes me hate my bike, which is silly, because it is a great bike. Anyone else OCD like this?
    There is a curve of time and skill development-- like a learning curve. You want to speed up your learning curve so you stop getting passed. That's not OCD. You need more patience. But sometimes the tool you use affects how you learn and how fast you move along in skill building. This is the case with some forks and trails of a certain level of difficulty. Mix a fork without the engineering to handle those trails and an unskilled rider will feel overwhelmed. A FS bike with a poor quality fork will be the same.
    So what are the options.-- A FS bike with good components is $1k more than a HT bike with good components. Demo some better bikes and see what you pick up. You can learn on a good HT.
    Here's an explanation and a video.
    .The Argument For Short Travel Bikes - Opinion - Pinkbike
    And there is a rebuttal opinion.
    ..The Argument for Long Travel Bikes - Opinion - Pinkbike
    All those bikes have good forks and experienced riders.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    A good hard tail is every bit as good as a good FS bike. You just ride it a little different and have
    an xtra $1000 in your pocket. And I still like to climb with a HT over any FS frame any day.

  5. #5
    ready to ride
    Reputation: mattnmtns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    659
    must be a matt thing

    :cheers
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    must be a matt thing

    :cheers
    Lol! ...Anyway, with all good parts on that frame, you won't care anymore that it's not a FS. Just upgrade as things wear out and/or you have some xtra cash for forks,drivetrain,
    etc. The frame looks fine to build on imo.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    I don't have OCD but I can't stop tinkering with my stuff, be it cars, bikes etc. I have to be working on something all the time.

    -S

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Me too, when not on this damn pc!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    79
    hahaha

  10. #10
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,145
    I was afraid to demo other bikes for a while. Some people are so bullish on things like FS and 29ers that I was afraid I wouldn't have as much fun riding my little 26" hardtail.

    I should see a big improvement in my income soon and had been thinking about a new bike as a "first paycheck" present for myself when that happens. So I've been going to some demo days.

    I'm learning that if I have a certain minimum level of equipment, basically Deore and a fork with decent stiffness and tunable spring rate and rebound, setup trumps more expensive gear.

    Doesn't mean I don't get a kick out of having some SLX bits or want a fork with a fancier damper. But I'm not particularly bothered by not having a wonderbike either. Last time I had one for extended demo, I actually missed my bike!

    Point being, go to some demo days, but also re-read your DSM-IV on what OCD actually is, then read the Park Tool site and get (and keep!) your bike really dialed. You won't be missing much...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  11. #11
    fly on the wall
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    424
    What you have is not OCD; what you have is upgrade-itis

    That's perfectly fine, but it's better to get really good at your current bike first, until you feel it's the bike that's holding you back. Getting a full suspension bike doesn't mean you still won't get passed by a really good hard tail rider. If you get good first, you'll be the person passing full suspension guys on your hard tail.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trane0605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    101
    The best advice I can give is to demo other stuff. you'll either realize what you have is ok for now, or you'll want something else really really bad.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NFLcheesehead1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatt View Post
    I really like my new UCC Dynamite front suspension bike. However, I cannot help but lust over the better, full suspension models with better frames and components, that pass me daily. I cannot afford one yet, but I really wish I had one. It almost makes me hate my bike, which is silly, because it is a great bike. Anyone else OCD like this?
    You don't have OCD...you're just jealous
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

  14. #14
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    What you have is not OCD; what you have is upgrade-itis

    That's perfectly fine, but it's better to get really good at your current bike first, until you feel it's the bike that's holding you back. Getting a full suspension bike doesn't mean you still won't get passed by a really good hard tail rider. If you get good first, you'll be the person passing full suspension guys on your hard tail.
    yup,... what he said
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBerNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    202
    I feel you, I want a newer, different bike every week.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    79
    lol thanks all! I guess I am not so messed up after all!

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatt View Post
    lol thanks all! I guess I am not so messed up after all!
    In actuality, we're all very messed up. We just seem normal because everyone around is equally crazy.

    -S

  18. #18
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    That is not OCD.

    OCD is putting your riding gear in the gear bag the same way, every time. Or you can't walk out the door until it is.

    OCD is putting the same number of ice cubes in your camelbak. Or you have to dump it all out and do it over because you cant have it too cold or like that one time it was too warm. This must be done or you can't walk out of the house.

    OCD is tying your bike up in the center groove in the bed of your pickup and making sure it stands perfectly straight up. If you bring a friend, you count four grooves over from the bedside and tie the bikes up evenly. Or you cant leave.

    OCD is shut truck door, buckle up, start truck, plug in iPod, select song, make sure stereo volume is on an even number, release parking brake, all done in that order every time. Or you guessed it... You can't leave.

    OCD is putting your phone, keys, snacks etc in the same spot every time in your camelbak. Because you cant be reaching behind your back into a pocket for your cell and pull out a cliff bar. Then you must recheck the placement of each of these items three times before you can leave the parking lot.

    But I wouldn't know anything about that stuff.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBerNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    That is not OCD.

    OCD is putting your riding gear in the gear bag the same way, every time. Or you can't walk out the door until it is.

    OCD is putting the same number of ice cubes in your camelbak. Or you have to dump it all out and do it over because you cant have it too cold or like that one time it was too warm. This must be done or you can't walk out of the house.

    OCD is tying your bike up in the center groove in the bed of your pickup and making sure it stands perfectly straight up. If you bring a friend, you count four grooves over from the bedside and tie the bikes up evenly. Or you cant leave.

    OCD is shut truck door, buckle up, start truck, plug in iPod, select song, make sure stereo volume is on an even number, release parking brake, all done in that order every time. Or you guessed it... You can't leave.

    OCD is putting your phone, keys, snacks etc in the same spot every time in your camelbak. Because you cant be reaching behind your back into a pocket for your cell and pull out a cliff bar. Then you must recheck the placement of each of these items three times before you can leave the parking lot.

    But I wouldn't know anything about that stuff.
    HOLY **** . That must take a really long time just to pull out of the driveway.

  20. #20
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,530
    I used to need to masturbate every time i saw a porno magazine, suppose thats OCD.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I used to need to masturbate every time i saw a porno magazine, suppose thats OCD.
    Naa, only if you have to count the strokes and have to arrive after a certain number lol

  22. #22
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Naa, only if you have to count the strokes and have to arrive after a certain number lol
    Bwahahahahaha +rep
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bataivah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    652
    I rofl when I though of that lolol

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    A good hard tail is every bit as good as a good FS bike. You just ride it a little different and have
    an xtra $1000 in your pocket. And I still like to climb with a HT over any FS frame any day.
    Aggreed

  25. #25
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,145
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    That is not OCD.

    OCD is putting your riding gear in the gear bag the same way, every time. Or you can't walk out the door until it is.

    OCD is putting the same number of ice cubes in your camelbak. Or you have to dump it all out and do it over because you cant have it too cold or like that one time it was too warm. This must be done or you can't walk out of the house.

    OCD is tying your bike up in the center groove in the bed of your pickup and making sure it stands perfectly straight up. If you bring a friend, you count four grooves over from the bedside and tie the bikes up evenly. Or you cant leave.

    OCD is shut truck door, buckle up, start truck, plug in iPod, select song, make sure stereo volume is on an even number, release parking brake, all done in that order every time. Or you guessed it... You can't leave.

    OCD is putting your phone, keys, snacks etc in the same spot every time in your camelbak. Because you cant be reaching behind your back into a pocket for your cell and pull out a cliff bar. Then you must recheck the placement of each of these items three times before you can leave the parking lot.

    But I wouldn't know anything about that stuff.
    LOL, I do at least some of that.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •