1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Anyone in the DFW area interested in Tutoring/Riding one on one with a newbie?

I originally posted this in the Beginner's Corner Thread but it seems I might have better luck posting for people in the area I am actually located! Dallas/Fort Worth Area. More specifically, Arlington, Texas.

I feel really silly writing this!I am very new to the sport of Mountain Biking. I wanted to get into it to have a fun, healthy hobby and it also seemed exciting. I really like the idea of being able to travel to different courses and learning them and meeting new people in the biking community. BUT I am just not there yet. . The first dirt trail I went out on was this weekend at River Legacy Park. I was enjoying getting used to riding on a non paved trail. I quickly came to some jumps and groups of more experienced riders and long story short, I siked myself out. I am not afraid of eventually climbing or descending, jumping or anything else but I honestly need to build up to it. I felt silly staying behind but I still need help even switching gears correctly.I know there will be oppurtunity for injuries and I am game for all that but I felt jumping head first into something that extreme would ...well lead me to having a broken neck.
    I want to enjoy this and make it a life long love. I know there are group clinics that I can attend in a month or so but I am having a bit of anxiety with the group thing.Just looking for a friendly, patient person willing to meet up and ride with to help me get the hang of this. I have been taking it out trying to just ride around and getting a feel for it but really want to know some of the technical stuff and also to get over the fear of doing bigger and better things.

Please help! Even if you only wish to offer tips, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ambear; 03-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    Not that the beginner area is an inappropriate place for this post, but you might have better luck over here in the Texas sub-forum: Texas This, of course assumes that DFW means "Dallas, Fort Worth". If not, you know... extrapolate the results into wherever you are.

I think you're on the right track searching for someone else to ride with, sometimes it's hard to make any progress if you're pushing too hard. Everyone learns a little differently so take your time and enjoy the process.

Search for cycling clubs or group rides, keep an eye out for clinics in your area, and ride your bike whenever you get a chance. Even if you just take a ride over to a local park and try and ride curbs like skinny bridges or drop off of stairs, you're learning. Heck, try some wheelies and manuals in your driveway or set up a board to bunny hop over. Put your helmet on when you do this, my friend in the ER right now can attest to that.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice!