1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Anybody wear a kidney belt while riding?

I come from MX riding. I used to get terrible nauseau when I would ride some of the more rough motocross tracks but when I started wearing a kidney belt, I noticed that the nauseau went away. I believe this is partly due to poor core strength that I'm working on. But once I started wearing the belt, I noticed that my posture on the bike became exponentially better and my endurance was better. I have a new kidney belt on order for riding MX but was wondering if anyone else has any input on if you guys wear these on the trails. I plan on trying it myself to see how it works but wanted to hear some feedback.

T.W.O.
    No but it's interesting.

Usually, I feel nausea when I'm bonking. That only happened a few times cause I would slow down or rest before it gets to that point.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you want to build your core strength and endurance do not use a kidney belt. They do all the work for you, as you have noticed, and prevent you from gaining the strength you need on your own.

Sent using my fat thumbs!

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd second the core strengthening. And not just sit-ups, but a variety of exorcizes (leg throws, twists, etc...). Once summer rolls around, that kidney belt will get hot, too.

mtbr member
    Well, the belt is to stop your organs from bouncing around and damage to your health. It won't
    move your body around, your core still has to do all that, but organ support is always a great thing
    if it's not too hot outside. Mtb riding for me is harder on my organs than my MX bikes ever where!
    Riding will build your core with or without the belt. So do you want your organs to have support is
    the real question i guess. I would say wear it anytime it's not too hot to bare it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Well, the belt is to stop your organs from bouncing around and damage to your health. It won't
    move your body around, your core still has to do all that, but organ support is always a great thing
    if it's not too hot outside. Mtb riding for me is harder on my organs than my MX bikes ever where!
    Riding will build your core with or without the belt. So do you want your organs to have support is
    the real question i guess. I would say wear it anytime it's not too hot to bare it.
    I do not disagree with you in the fact that the kidney belt protects a person's vital organs, however, the OP mentioned how it improves his posture and endurance. I do not feel it should be used for this reason as it it will prevent a person from building the core strength they need to provide good posture on their own. Wearing it to protect your organs and body from injury is one thing but wearing it to fix poor posture and core strength is bad in my opinion.

mtbr member
    You will still work the core just as much imo, however wearing the belt makes you FEEL like it
    is'nt working as hard due to the support that it gives. Just like how compression shorts stop the
    muscles from bouncing around when not flexed. They both stop unwanted wear and tear and wasted
    energy. Just don't wear it like a corset (too tight) lol!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    You will still work the core just as much imo, however wearing the belt makes you FEEL like it
    is'nt working as hard due to the support that it gives. Just like how compression shorts stop the
    muscles from bouncing around when not flexed. They both stop unwanted wear and tear and wasted
    energy. Just don't wear it like a corset (too tight) lol!
    That just sent a few unwanted images through my mind. lol

mtbr member
    Lol, ikr? Hot chics should wear a corset instead though and always ride in front of me.

mtbr member
    Much better. Only you need to move over so I can have a clear view too.

mtbr member
    You'll see fine after i wreck on the first turn or sooner. For some reason a hot chic in spandex in front
    of me on a trail causes me to loose most riding ability's. I should start a thread to ask just why this is.
    To stay on the subject...I wonder if they make a bra belt too.

I4NI
    Hey, I still got mine
    There....Are... Four...Lights!