1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Anybody run a Cross on singletrack?

I have been riding my cross on single track for the past couple of months. Just went HT but yet to ride? Benefits? Others with similar experiences (notes)?

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    By cross do you mean cyclocross or some sort of hybrid?

I ride my cyclocross bike on singletrack all the time, but mostly if it's because the trail I want to ride to is far away, or just for a change of pace.

On all but the tamest singletrack my 29er HT is faster overall. The increased traction and stability allows more focus on maintaining power and pedaling rather than concentrating on holding a line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry....yes I mean cyclocross bike. My HT is so much heavier...any different in getting over obstacles?

mtbr member
    There is a girl I see quite often on local singletrack in my area on her cross bike. Not just the smooth rolling singletrack either. I see her on the trails with a lot of roots and rocks. It's impressive. Here I am with my 5" of travel thinking i'm doing good on some tough trails and see someone pass me on a cyclocross bike. It must take some focus and good bike handling skills. I've never done it.

Probably drunk right now

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by tallaire1
    Sorry....yes I mean cyclocross bike. My HT is so much heavier...any different in getting over obstacles?

Yes there's a difference. Typically, your upper body is stretched out over a CX bike, so it will be more challenging to get it over obstacles because there's more weigh over your handlebars.

Specifically technique advise will depend on your gender.

Obviously, you'll be more prone to pinch flatting with a CX bike and you'll have less traction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I too ride my cross bike on the singletrack all the time. It's a nice change of pace on the local trail. The downsides have been covered, less traction, harder getting over some obstacles. I don't jump the cross bike much, but some of the root covered downhill slopes are still easier to jump than ride over without suspension. Last time it was out on the trails was on a new years day ride. Skinny tires and semi-frozen ruts did not work out so well, but I made the lap, and impressed some roadies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't ride my Kona Jake cyclocross bike on single track much because it does not have brakes on the handlebars. Instead, the brakes are located on the stems of the handlebars which makes it difficult to go down steep, rugged hills. Our LBS said they would add a second set of brakes on the handlebars but we have been too lazy to do so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I usually have one on the hood and one on the break. It seems to work the best this way, even if I do not have complete control over both brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    fully_rigid - did you buy your Jake new? They come stock with the normal drop bar levers as well as in-line cross levers along the top of the bars. They're cheap and don't take long to install.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    we bought it new in fall of 2005 which I think was just before they started including two sets of brakes with the standard install. good to know that a second set is cheap to install.

I just let one RIP
    When I had a cross bike, I rode it regularly on singletrack. Quite a lot of fun. Even would catch a little air from time to time. Did a couple of mtb races on it, too (mtb was out of commission at the time, and I still wanted to race, so...)
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fully_rigid
    I don't ride my Kona Jake cyclocross bike on single track much because it does not have brakes on the handlebars. Instead, the brakes are located on the stems of the handlebars which makes it difficult to go down steep, rugged hills. Our LBS said they would add a second set of brakes on the handlebars but we have been too lazy to do so.
    fully-rigid - you just need to ride in the drops on the steep downhills. The in-line levers on the tops of the bars are almost useless on singletrack - hands are too close together to steer well. You get best leverage for steering and braking while down in the drops. So stay off the hoods and get in the drops and you will be fine. I actually took the in-line levers off my cross bike because I never used them.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have, but it's scary with crappy canti brakes. roots and rocks beat me up like crazy, but the flat hard pack is fast as all get out.

it's fun, but I'm building a HT if that tells you anything