1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Any videos for thorough bike fit ?

Just recently decided to tweak my seat as I knew that my seat was far too low.
    I like to keep it that way only because I ride through streets and traffic on my way to trails and feel better knowing my feet can just balance me at a red light or I end up near pedestrians at a cross walk.

So I went ahead and followed the basic rules for knee extension and raised my seat accordingly. I also moved the nose of my seat up about a half inch to make it "Flatter".
    Well after about 8 miles of pavement and 3 miles of flat dirt I wake up today and my shoulders feel tight , and I have pain** in my knees for the first time...like ever.

Only thing I could think of I did physically different was go uphill on higher gear and mash it up instead of granny gearing it. But we're talking minor slants not major uphills. ((I stay seated on any uphills for no reason other than It seems like it would make me stronger than just using my weight))

Im wondering if my body just needs to adapt or if I maybe threw something off. I watched alot of videos before and today but none seem to address the totality of a bike fit. How far forward or back should seat be , proper distance between seat and stem , overall posture etc etc.

Any step by step guides or videos ? Do road bikes "fitting" videos actually apply to MTB ?

** soreness under knee cap and in the center core area of knee.
    Last edited by manmythlegend; 06-18-2013 at 04:06 PM.