1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Any tips for improving?

I am not sure how to really describe my riding style, but we are starting out on wide trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_XhGODAMX4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w01K_J7yG-Q

That was our ride today. I would like some advice on riding, I know I get sloppy at holding on to the trail at a few times, this mostly due to worn tires at the moment. ( buying new ones this week) I am also wondering if there is any better places to mount my camera.
    Last edited by Krotuskang; 06-28-2014 at 11:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Todays lesson! For your buddy, keep your elbows up, much like a push-up position. Don't look back while blowing by trees, keep your inside pedal up or level when your leaned over. For you, try not to go so fast if your getting sloppy. Maybe leave the camera at home until you iron out the important stuff like good tires. Have fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    We are actually normally using it review how we have been riding. I have it on my handle bars so it is no big thing for me. I have only posted maybe 1 out 5 or 6 of our rides haha. We are also using it to learn the trails.... But speed is a bigger issue for me since I am on XC salsa spearfish 29er.... I was breaking pretty heavy to stay behind him. I am mostly just getting use to a XC 29er bike... I am waiting to get a little more comfortable to start power sliding my turns :S

mtbr member
    An old wise man once said! "don't study the wrong answers".

Maybe make a cool rad video of nothing but power slides. That would be knar!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you want help with riding,you should do the video's different. Closer to the lead rider ,side views,front views.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    We are actually planning on the side view thing... mostly for cornering. We are not the richest people out there and my friend is getting his GoPro here soon. This will allow us to set one up and see what we are doing wrong.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like a fun super-fast, well-groomed XC trail…where is this ?
    IMO, there is not much going on there to evaluate. Maybe a different trail with some tech challenges ???

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    leave the camera at home...Have fun
    Exactly - forget about all about electronic BS in general and just ride. Ride instead of filming, ride instead of editing, ride instead of posting online, ride instead of shopping for gear...there really is only one tool to really improve and it runs on burritos not batteries.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Any tips for improving?

I have a friend/ride partner that's an IMBA skills coach. Her coaching has been super helpful. Might be worth it for you to pay for a few coaching sessions.