1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Any of these worth the money?

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to the forums. I've been a lurker for a little while and decided to post in order to gain some insight before moving ahead.

My current bike is a hardtail based off of the Leader LD 510H frame with overall cheaper components.
    I'm starting to get a little more aggressive and was trying to figure out if I should pick up a used full suspension setup or if it's worth investing into my current gear? I have a small budget and I understand that you get what you pay for, but you can also find good deals now and again. Trouble is I don't know gear well enough to know what to look for.

I found a few for sale on local forums and was hoping you could shed some light on if they would be worth the price or not. For starters lets just assume that they would be a good size fit and would need minimal work. I'm just trying to figure out if they are worth exploring.
    Sorry for the lack of information, but most of the adds were pretty bland.

$500- Haro Extreme X2 FS:
    "Shimano LX rear shifter, Shimano Deore front shifter, Fox Racing Vanilla coil suspension spring, Marzocchi EXR Pro, Kenda tires."

$400- Specialized Stump Jumper XC (2003):

$700- Rocky Mountain RM 7:

Thanks for all the help in advance.

mtbr member
    What type of riding you usually do? The RM7 is a downhill/freeride rig and the others cross country, totally different bikes for totally different terrain.

Taking that you ride a Leader hard tail (my kid used to ride one) my guess is that you're into XC aggressive or not so the Haro and Specialized are better suited.

Which one to pick is a bit hard without knowing the complete part spec and condition on both, I wouldn't buy any.

mtbr member
    The RM7 is an ok deal if you are looking to do downhill. The others are severely overpriced.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the response.
    Yeah, right now I'm aggressive cross country with the longing to do down hill later on. I understand that they are very different bikes, but wasn't sure if the RM7 would be worth it if that is my longer term goal?

It makes sense that the XC bikes couldn't do DH well, but is there any reason why the RM7 couldn't be a fair XC bike as a secondary use?

Yeah it's hard to make judgement calls with out knowing all the specs or condition. However if we were to go in with the assumption that the bikes are in good condition with stock components (or upgrades if you can tell from the photos) are there any that can be ruled out right now?

You say you wouldn't buy any. Is this due to them being over priced or?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The RM7 is an ok deal if you are looking to do downhill. The others are severely overpriced.
    Thanks for that info.
    What would the RM7 normally go for if that's an ok deal? Are we looking at 10% less, 30%?
    Say I wanted the Haro X2, what would a good price be for that setup?

Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom_skies View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    Yeah, right now I'm aggressive cross country with the longing to do down hill later on. I understand that they are very different bikes, but wasn't sure if the RM7 would be worth it if that is my longer term goal?

It makes sense that the XC bikes couldn't do DH well, but is there any reason why the RM7 couldn't be a fair XC bike as a secondary use?

Yeah it's hard to make judgement calls with out knowing all the specs or condition. However if we were to go in with the assumption that the bikes are in good condition with stock components (or upgrades if you can tell from the photos) are there any that can be ruled out right now?

You say you wouldn't buy any. Is this due to them being over priced or?

Thanks
    If your long term goal is downhill riding, I suggest saving up for a better/newer/less abused downhill bike. DH bikes have progressed tremendously in the last 10 years since that one was made.

That RM7 is extremely heavy and has geometry that would be terrible for xc riding.

I would rule all of them out. The haro is about 10 years old and wasn't a very nice bike 10 years ago. The FSR XC is Specialized's lowest end FS bike and again... 10 years old.

maybe for $250 if the Haro and Specialized are in mint condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom_skies View Post
    Thanks for that info.
    What would the RM7 normally go for if that's an ok deal? Are we looking at 10% less, 30%?
    Say I wanted the Haro X2, what would a good price be for that setup?

Thanks for the insight.
    Personally I wouldn't buy a 10 year old downhill bike. 10 years on a dh bike is a ton of abuse. This is what Bicycle Blue Book came up with.
    BBB Value:
    $831 (Like-New)
    $792 (Excellent)
    $713 (Good)
    $530 (Fair)

I am sure the Haro and FSR XC are overpriced compared to BBB as well.

I see much better bikes go for $500 on CL around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome, great insight.
    Thanks for saving me a potential headache.

I'll keep looking and see if I find anything.

Edit- Never knew about the BBB, that will be a good site to keep on hand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The RM7 aint for pedaling. It would be a miserable XC bike.

The Specialized doesn't even have disk brakes or a current fork, so for that kinda money, I am out.

The Haro may be the only one worth looking at, but that is way too much money IMO.