1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Any suggestions for ordering mountain bike shoes online?

I'm getting my first pair of mountain bike shoes that will work with clipless pedals - these are the ones I'm planning to purchase:

Sette Element MTB Shoes Shoes Reviews

I'm at a loss as to what size to go for. I understand the sizing chart, but if you look at the reviews, some people say they run large, some people say they run small, and some people say they are true to size???

So, should I just order 3 pairs in 3 different sizes with the intention of returning 2 of them to get the right size?
    Last edited by getagrip; 12-21-2011 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Go into a bike shop that sells that brand and try on a few pairs to get your size. Usually different shoes from the same brand will all fit similarly.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    I'm getting my first pair of mountain bike shoes that will work with clipless pedals - these are the ones I'm planning to purchase:

Sette Element MTB Shoes Shoes Reviews

I'm at a loss as to what size to go for. I understand the sizing chart, but if you look at the reviews, some people say they run large, some people say they run small, and some people say they are true to size???

So, should I just order 3 pairs in 3 different sizes with the intention of returning 2 of them to get the right size?
    This is the problem with buying shoes online. Yeah, buy 3 and return 2. Assuming the 3rd is a good fit.

Or save yourself a lot of hassle and buy then at a shop where you can try them on.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I believe that Price Point is the only retailer of Sette products so I doubt that a LBS would stock them. Have faith in the sizing chart and order 1/2 size larger if that's possible. Price Point is good about returns if you want to do the 3 sizes route, you'll have to pay return shipping.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Do you buy regular shoes online? Do you try on several street shoes to find the one that fits right? Do you have an odd foot shape (wide, narrow, high arch, ....)? Do you care if the shoe fits you right or do you just want to settle for a cheap pair to get started?

IMO--there are too many variables in buying shoes online for the first pair.

And you'll hear it here over and over again, support your LBS. You might walk in and find a nice sale. I picked up a $250 pair for $45 at my LBS.

mtbr member
    I purchased a pair of Sette Element shoes 3 years ago. I contacted Price Point ahead of time for some sizing advise. The advised me to go with my actual size. They were right and I rode with those shoes for 3 years. GREAT value in my opinion - I ride about 2500 miles a year. I replaced them with a pair of Specialized Comps. It will be interesting to see which pair lasts the longest....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    People buy shoes online always worry about if it's the appropriate size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi, this is Danny.
    I am giving you a sugession that do not buy shoes or any thing else where the size matter. Because no can say that the size you choose is correct or not, if size is wrong and you don't have fit that thing you can say your mountain shoes, if shoes are not fit in you legs then What will You do??? So don't buy online. ok

Thankyou
    Last edited by wadedanny85; 01-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm gonna throw another vote for don't do it.

UNLESS, you had physically tried them on prior and know how they fit/feel.

Even by ordering 3 different sizes, that won't take into account the width, heel fit, arch support or any other sizing issues with that particular brand. Nike fits different from Adidas, which fits different from New Balance..etc, etc, etc.

I know it may not be the easiest/cheapest solution, but shoes are something you want to make sure that fit perfect...like gloves.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all of the responses. Picked up a pair of clipless shoes from my bike mechanic/friend while getting some maintenance on my bike. I mentioned that I was planning on trying some clipless pedals out, then he told me about a pair of shoes that were sitting around 5 feet away from me still in the box. He said he bought them for his wife around 10 years ago and she only wore them once. Turns out they were my size so I tried them on and they fit really well. Ended up paying him $36 for some minor bike maintenance and a pair of Shimano SH-M034 shoes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions for ordering mountain bike shoes online?-bike-shoes.jpg  

Dec 2011
    Yeah I'd just head to your local store and try on some shoes and make a guess id try maybe half a size larger than your shoe in case

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great find! My first pair of mtb shoes was a set of Shimano M036 (very similar to the ones you have). I found them on clearance at REI for like $35. I still use them quite a bit. Very comfortable shoes.

I do echo what others are saying regarding trying on shoes when possible before purchasing. I have found that some brands fit me very well, while others may not provide a comfortable fit. If ordering online, I would stick with a brand that I was confident would have a high chance of proper fit. I ended up getting my Teva Pinners online (for my platform pedals), as I have always found Teva to provide a good fit for my feet. I was interested in 5.10, but could not find a local LBS that carried that brand, so had no clue as to how they would fit.

mtbr member
    Don't go to the LBS to try and buy online, buy them locally.

mtbr member

Any suggestions for ordering mountain bike shoes online?

Quote Originally Posted by topout View Post
    I am only 5'3" tall in height. Should I use elevator shoes for men?
    Great idea. Then you can ride a large bike!!! Why hasn't anyone thought of this yet? Hi this is Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk