1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Any reason to keep the valve caps on?

I was wondering if I need to keep using the screw on presta valves on my tubes... They seem to be just be something extra to deal with when inflating my tires. What practical purposes do they serve?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I never use them on prestas, just schraeders. I don't that there is any real use for them on prestas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    On schraeders, are they helpful to prevent leakage or accidental valve depression?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No, they just keep contaminants out of the valve. Basically a presta is an "outie" and sheds crap but a shraeder is an "innie" and can collect crap that cause problems.

Fat-tired Roadie
    On a Schrader, the valve caps used to have a secondary seal because the valve is just held closed by a spring, and haven't always been that reliable. So it was really part of the valve. Screwing down the little nut on a Presta valve secures it.

Even though the covers are not really necessary for the function of the valve, I use them. It keeps a bunch of small mechanical stuff cleaner, and that's generally a no-brainer for me. I suspect it might keep my pump head in better shape too. I use the little security nut on Presta, and have to admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when a friend of mine got a flat because the Presta valve on her tube had gotten worked to a funky enough angle for the seal between the valve and the tube to get damaged.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I was wondering if I need to keep using the screw on presta valves on my tubes... They seem to be just be something extra to deal with when inflating my tires. What practical purposes do they serve?
    I think the caps look cool
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Their primary function on presta valves is to keep them clean. To me, that makes them worth the extra 2 seconds it takes to remove them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Makes sense to use them. Just a little annoying when, 1 minute later when I am done pumping up the tire, I can't figure out what I did with the cap!

Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Their primary function on presta valves is to keep them clean. To me, that makes them worth the extra 2 seconds it takes to remove them...

mtbr member
    I keep my caps on because mud and debri can get in it and mess with it. I also find it annoying trying to find the little caps, but now whenever I'm putting air into my tires I just put the caps in my pockets or I keep them in my hands until I'm done.

Sent from my Droid
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    I never use them on prestas, just schraeders. I don't that there is any real use for them on prestas.
    I used to think this until the very tip of my prestas (the little part that screws down to hold it closed) got bent by sticks and/or rocks that flew through my spokes during rides. I noticed that they were bent while airing up my tires and carefuly bent them back. Checked and they are not leaking. Always use the caps now.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    I used to think this until the very tip of my prestas (the little part that screws down to hold it closed) got bent by sticks and/or rocks that flew through my spokes during rides. I noticed that they were bent while airing up my tires and carefuly bent them back. Checked and they are not leaking. Always use the caps now.
    Well put

I hate change the presta's gut. It's so easy to break too if it get hit at speed. I'm running Tubeless so it's a no brainer to me to keep them protected.

I use them to take up space in my trash bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    The valve parts of a Presta valve are hanging out in the open. Don't you think the only thing holding air in your tire should be protected?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only time I use a cap is on my spare w/ presta valves to keep the metal part from rubbing through the tube. Otherwise I don't bother.

We get titles?
    I'm not saying that's not what happened, but I'd have a much easier time believing that you bent them using a hand pump, than believing they were bent by flying debris.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Keeps crud out of the valve in the little holes that expose the seal

excellent point by crashedandburned about protecting your spare tube!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown View Post
    I'm not saying that's not what happened, but I'd have a much easier time believing that you bent them using a hand pump, than believing they were bent by flying debris.
    Nope, I'm very careful with the pump and noticed it while cleaning bike after hard ride. Where I ride there are lots of loose river rock and sticks, as I'm flying along I often hear and feel them bouncing around and pinging through my spokes....un-nverving first time and now just ignore it. I have scrapes on rims and spokes from this and have broken spokes and nipples from it once.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Nickel Havr
    They look kewl...

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

DynoDon
    Looks like a Rocket coming from a Rocket Ron...................sounds/looks like a good reason to me... and all the above reasons too..!!!

Photobucket
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Caps keep dirt out, keep the sticks or rocks from bending the valve...all the reasons above. Running without them just adds one more thing that can break when you ride.

mtbr member
    Great alignment of the star with the valve hole!

I don't bother on prestas. Never had an issue with the bending of the valve, other than the muppet (me) pumping the tyre up.
    Schraeders, it keeps the crap out so that the valve actually works.

T.W.O
    the only reason they are on prestas is for shipping purposes... i dont see any point on keeping them on after the fact
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Had a stick reach out and rip the tip off the valve of my rear tire once. Instant flat and no spare tube. My patch kit was of no use, of course. Not very likely that it will happen again but I'm using the caps.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

Hi.
    I don't use them, and haven't used them in 15 years. I've never had a single problem that wasn't caused by me while inflating.

But really don't see a problem, unless you're a hardcore weightweenie .

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    good to know there is a reason to have them