1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any ideas on how to get my wife to ride with me

Anyone here rides with wife???? What's a good way to start riding with her?? I just bought her a bike (hardtail), any input..

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

I4NI
    Tell her it's a do together(Work out? May work) thing. She may not want to go off road, don't push her.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    tell her she looks good on the bike!

its a start....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Depends on the relationship. I ride with the wife often, I'm 51, she is 49. Been together since 1977. We ride on quests. We both are stoners, so we ride to our destination, smoke, drink something, feel each other up (no sex on the trail though...) and ride back. There has to be more than just riding to get the
    girls to ride sometimes. We ride about 10-12 miles with some as long as 25. Yea, paths and easy trails but thats all good. Some relationships are for convenience only, status, money, etc with no real connection with each other. If thats the case, good luck.

Edit..Rootar is correct, very important.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Depends on the relationship. I ride with the wife often, I'm 51, she is 49. Been together since 1977. We ride on quests. We both are stoners, so we ride to our destination, smoke, drink something, feel each other up (no sex on the trail though...) and ride back. There has to be more than just riding to get the
    girls to ride sometimes. We ride about 10-12 miles with some as long as 25. Yea, paths and easy trails but thats all good. Some relationships are for convenience only, status, money, etc with no real connection with each other. If thats the case, good luck.

There....Are... Four...Lights!

Pedaler of dirt
    Did she ask for the bike and has she ever expressed an interest in riding with you? No and no?

Give it up!
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post

Nice...Aint nothing like hitting a light casual trail alittle buzzed .....Wished my gf smoked though but aint nothin wrong with a little wine

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Be patient. Don't rush her into riding off drops and through rock gardens and such. Go for some rides around the neighborhood with her and when she gets comfortable on the bike take her out on some smooth single track. I'm going through this right now. It's slow going because her confidence on a bike is pretty lacking and I don't want to scare her into not wanting to ride. I have to keep reminding myself that the stuff we're riding may be retardedly easy for me but it's scary and new to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Start with really easy riding. Like, MUP easy. Don't push it. Riding with girlfriends (or wives) seems to work best if it's a recovery day. If possible, ride somewhere that has some other enjoyable aspects - like it's pretty, or something along those lines. If she has some outside relationships with people who ride, awesome. Get well out of the way.

Really, the best anyone can do to try to get someone else to ride is to eliminate as many barriers as possible. So, also make sure the bike is in good mechanical shape, and that it's set up to be comfortable for her, whatever that means. Don't badger her about it.

This story was meant mostly seriously, I think. The comments are well worth a look.

http://www.bowcycle.com/bikes/blogs/...ride-with-you/

Ironically, I picked up mountain biking again because I was looking for something to do with the girl I was seeing at the time, and she was really annoying to ride with on the road. Mountain biking with her wasn't much better and the relationship was ultimately stupid, but I still have the bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks for all this good info, now I have a good starting point. Also a few laughs reading the comments...I've been trying to get her to ride, one day she agreed so we bought a specialized hardrail to start with. But the bike been sitting there for Almost a year, I scared her off one day I got home from DH ride with a few marks ..LOL

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Riding next to her and talking to her might help. Tell her you "like" riding with her, and she will want to go every day.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Riding next to her and talking to her might help. Tell her you "like" riding with her, and she will want to go every day.
    Or, you could smoke a bowl first, loosen her up with some feel up. Seems to work for 1niceride and sounds kinda fun.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    First I have to say, HA HA HA, some of you guys crack me up

Then, my wife does alot to please me. I know she doesn't have any desire to get winded, tired, or sweaty. At least as far as cycling, lol. So I just stopped trying because I know she doesn't like it. Thought it might be nice thing to do together and if I was more selfish about it I'm sure she would, and she has. She doesn't try to make me watch soap operas so ....what's fair is fair. You just can't tell somebody what to want. She will sometimes "want to" if my little girl comes because she enjoys watching her learn and have fun. That's more than enough to make me happy.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is my first post. I wanted to say hi first, but this thread caught my eye since my husband rides a bit more than I. My answer to this is don't push. Don't be bossy.....be understanding.....and above all, be cool. We deal with things on different timelines so if you get frustrated, give us a few because getting worked up about something won't make me feel any better about riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nieves53 View Post
    Anyone here rides with wife???? What's a good way to start riding with her?? I just bought her a bike (hardtail), any input...
    Don't try too hard. Take her out for some easy rides. See whether she like riding. She might not. If she doesn't, then don't push it.

My wife doesn't like to ride, and we are at peace with that. She lets me ride and do all the bike stuff I want. She's got her own pursuits to keep her busy. I don't try to get her on a bike. She doesn't try to get me on a sewing machine. Life is good.

mtbr member
    I have tried for years to get my wife into riding and she has zero interest in it. I think riding with her against her interest will be boring and cumbersome for both of us, so it's best not to bug her about it. find another activity to do together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elleleeanya View Post
    This is my first post. I wanted to say hi first, but this thread caught my eye since my husband rides a bit more than I. My answer to this is don't push. Don't be bossy.....be understanding.....and above all, be cool. We deal with things on different timelines so if you get frustrated, give us a few because getting worked up about something won't make me feel any better about riding.
    I second that!!

My wife resisted at first, but after riding in the neighborhoods and duel purpose trails for about a month to build up some endurance. We went on our first trail a couple months ago and she was hooked, she even went clipless!!

Best thing to do is to try to get her on the bike and ride, make sure her fit is good and that she is comfortable while riding. This part was key for my wife, once she was comfortable she took off.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Put her on your handlebars like you did back in the day bonus she will soften any impacts from a crash

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Down the road you can always get a tandem, then you're doing it together.

mtbr member
    Interesting, I went through the same thing. My wife started enjoying riding because it helped her loose 25lbs and is now building tone. She is getting into it to levels I did not think were possible. Our little guy loves it as well so it made it easy for her. Our older girls, well let's say if the boy friends can go, they are good with it. The benefits are really good to the relationship...but, be careful what you wish for!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Take the seat off

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2325 View Post
    Take the seat off
    Nice! I am working to get my wife to ride also. We will see what happens.

mtbr member
    Speaking from the g/f point of view... I was VERY leery of starting to ride, I'm still not fearless like HE is, but we started out riding around our hometown, (less than ten miles per round trip) then advancing to riding to my favorite coffee place (about 15 miles round trip) Then throwing in VERY beginner trails, and now I can't wait to go out and ride! We're about to leave for a Yellowstone camping/biking trip - so it does work out sometimes. I have to remember I'm not up to his skill level, and I have to accept that there are times I'm going to fall off my bike!! I have no regrets joining him on this hobby now though!

Picture Unrelated
    Take the bikes out for a ride to the movies or to dinner first. If that goes well, do it again maybe to a location a bit farther away. I was a ski instructor for many years teaching beginners on a mountain that scares most people who call themselves intermediate skiers so I learned a lot about teaching people an unfamiliar activity in a way that will help them succeed. Work up to your goal slowly. PrincessRachel's experience is exactly what I would suggest, a few short rides around town to get comfortable with being on a bike at all followed by a gradual increase of biking activities.

I will caution that you need to overestimate every trail that you consider "beginner". I will caution you because I blew it teaching my wife to mountain bike. A small overestimation on my part led to my wife being too scared to ride a mountain bike for about 2 years after she crashed on a switchback. Because she's the toughest person I know she eventually picked it back up at her request and now she's out absolutely slaying the trails. You can't be too cautious, if the trail you chooses is too easy the response will be "well that was easy" but if the trail is too hard it will probably derail your attempt at getting her riding for good.

In our second season of riding together I've gotten her riding long rides, technical rides including some nasty stuff in Moab, and we just made our first trip to the local bike skills park including the jump line. Next it's off to try some lift served DH, I think I've unleashed a monster (a sexy, bike riding monster)!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    be very careful, my wife feels like she is holding me back the whole time and hates that part, DO NOT SHOW OFF, she might feel like is holding you back. Take it slow, talk while riding. She may not want to ride fast or aggressive, or she may not have the confidence to yet, if you've been riding a long time, and she never has, your skills are VERY much superior, try not to let it show. Let her know that getting off the bike is perfectly fine, get off with her if she cant do a climb. remember that everyone rides different, you developed your style over years, you got to decide what trails you like best, have the respect to give her that time and choice as well. listen to what she says, coach her on some skills if you can, but DO NOT if you cant. and go by her as far as how much she wants to do it. you'd hate to have her decide when you rode, give her the respect to choose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast