1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Any good wheelset recommendations for a 2007 Trek 3700...?

any good wheelsets for around $100 average? I do mostly commuting and minor trails.

current wheelsets on the bike are the Stock Matrix 550.

mtbr member

Fat-tired Roadie
    bicyclewheelwarehouse.com sometimes clearances things for $100 or less, but cheap yet worthwhile rim brake wheelsets are getting harder and harder to find.

I'd just run the ones on the 3700 into the ground. It may or may not be worth maintaining the hubs - it's a bit of a losing battle with loose ball hubs if the seals suck, but if Trek bought hubs with decent seals, you should be able to get many years out of them. You can save a little money replacing the rims yourself, especially if you match the spoke bed diameter (ERD) to the previous rims, so you don't need to buy new spokes.

Outside of clearance sales, it's hard to hit a set of aftermarket wheels worth buying until about $200. See the MSRP on the ones on Jenson - they're about the bottom-level wheel I'd buy on purpose for a bike I rode for fun.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx