mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Any good used bikes on the market?

Hello everyone, looking into getting back onto a bike. Used to ride as a teenager but haven't rode in a decade aside from a beach cruiser to and from. Used to ride a haro BMX on street and a little bit of dirt jumping. Looking to get on a 29er or something close. Have a budget of $750 and after going through multiple pages it seems like my best bet is a used bike. Just looking for the best bang for the buck. Just as long as it's in good condition/taken care of. I'm not very knowledgeable on grades of components so any input from the more experienced riders would be much appreciated. Any good deals I should check out?

Forgot to add that I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam so it seems like a larger frame for most companies

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Give an idea of where you live, could look at Craigslist and post some links up here if you find something in your range. Normally I would say at that price you can get a good used bike, but it varies by region, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/5165364890.html
    This bike has a good Raidon air fork. See if you can get it for 500. Skip the pedals and get some flats.
    Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2014 - REI.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    When it comes to used bikes, I always question how the bike has been treated. More expensive the fork, the more I question it. Especially with 200+ miles on it. I know how my bike looked after 200 miles, and it was beat up. I also treated it hard though. Drivetrain components are usually rock solid on better bikes, and you'll be able to tell how they are. Unless you've had alot of experience, street rides can't always tell how good condition a fork is.

Since you're starting back into riding, you can take two different approaches. buy a good bike or buy a junk bike. Just like buying your first car. Did you get anold beater for cheap and learn how to fix stuff, or did you get a new car and just ride it. If you go for the beater idea, these bikes are acceptable. $200-250 for the GT, $250 for the marlin. On a used bike, always get at least 8-speed. If it has 7-gears in back, just walk away.
    https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/5182646827.html
    https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/5190577919.html

On the new car front, it's also the end of the season for bikes, and new 2016s are coming in. that means all of this years models are on sale, and last years models are on more of a sale. At this time of year, worth it to hit up the local bike shops. If you have a local REI, I'd consider this one. Not as good a fork, but still decent. Plus it's new and you're the only one to use it.

Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2015 - REI.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceadolf View Post
    Looks like that comes with a RST Deuce coil fork. Very basic and bike path level performance.
    The Raidon air fork on the CL Ponderosa is much higher in performance. It has a sealed compression/rebound damper cartridge which doesn't need any maintenance, like a car shock. I'd change the grease in the air side to a heavy oil and ride it on any trail. The fork becomes the most important component for trail riding as the difficulty goes up.

mtbr member
    Not sure how far you are from Ashburn.

2015 19" Specialized Rockhopper Almost New For Sale

Richmond

2011 niner air 9 For Sale

A tad over your budget, but its still a pretty decent price if you can get it down to $800-850.

Not sure of the sizing either. I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam and ride a 19" (26er) since a 20.5 is way too big. On a 29er, a 19 would be good for me. Ideally, a 19.5" but not many bike companies make that size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The one below could be worth seeing, might be able to get for $800 if he is motivated

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/5200078450.html

mtbr member
    If you're not set on a 29er pm me. I have something in 26" that I feel would suit you
    2011 trek fuel ex 5
    evo mx-6 white flat pedals
    specialized clutch 2.3 front tire
    hutchinson toro 2.35 rear tire

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There's a listing on ebay for a 2013 Kona Taro for 799. Excellent bike, however it's an xl.. don't know if that's too big - the stem looks longish, so a shorter one would help. Anyway - wanted to throw that out there. Just do an ebay search for "29er" and refine by price under $1k.