1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Another what bike should I buy thread.

I'm thinking ......
    2012 Jamis durango sport.
    Link Jamis Durango Sport Review | Evans Cycles | Ride It Blog | News, reviews, how-tos

or
    giant boulder 1.
    Link
    Boulder 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

Please do t recommend any other bikes as there are only these two I like in the local bike centre.
    I live in New Zealand buy the way. Which is very modern.
    By the way I'm new.

mtbr member
    Buy the Giant.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-17-2013 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Giant ? Dosent the jamis have better specs or not ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both may be adequate for bike paths and light easy trails. When you begin to ride singletrack with bumps, rocks and roots the forks on both will be outside their designed use. They lack adjustable rebound damping(pogo) and the interior metal bushings weren't designed for speed and multiple bumps. Replace the fork on a Boulder 29 0 and you can ride the fun more difficult trails. A RockShox Recon Gold or Reba, Suntour Raidon or Epicon will do the job. Otherwise with these two bike it is best to stay on the bike paths.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks the jamis costs $1000 new zealand dollars
    and the BOulder is 600

mtbr member
    The Giant has a more relaxed head angle, and it's cheaper; but not having any idea at all what the application will be makes it hard to come up with a meaningful recommendation. Are you going to commute on it? Ride swoopy singletrack? Rocky continuous climbs? Who knows, the Giant might be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    have you try test riding both bikes yet?
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes jamis rides more smoothly. S it's leaning towards the jamis

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you will be riding this on trails, neither is setup for that. They are good recreational bikes. The Giant or the 29er boulder with a fork upgrade could be the same price as the Jamis and be good for trails. A fork is easy to change.

Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

I like bikes
    I second/third the nomination for the Giant...with the idea of upgrading the fork in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cant I use them for offroad trails at all ? im paying 1000 for a offroad bike and i cant go on offroad trails.

I like bikes
    Yes, they can be used offroad. However, as you progress, you will find that they are not going to hold up to the abuse, especially the entry level forks (you will want better forks). What people were suggesting was to get the lesser of the two in cost so you can put money toward a fork that is better than sub-par. Then as other things break/need replacing you can upgrade those, too. In the review of the Jamis, the guy says at the end, it is a bike that is good for upgrading....thus a start at $1000, but you will need more $$$.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Unless you are very short, the Boulder 29 is going to make it easier to ride offroad. Bigger wheels roll over rocks easier. Look at that bike for something to last into the future with a fork upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks. I've found a good deal with the jamis at my local bike shop he's willing to give me the jamis for 600 and the boulder for 700. He says the jamis needs to go he's got to many of them. And I will upgrade the forks as well. What do you guys think

mtbr member

Another what bike should I buy thread.

That deal seems good. For 100 bucks pick the one you like better. Really comes down to 29" or 26". Personal preference is that I like Jamis better than giant but not for a good reason. I would lead towards the 29" on a hardtail. Also the way the market is going it might make it easier for resale. If you can afford it I agree with upgrading the fork because that will actually affect a lot of how the bike feels an handles. Then just ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Through the whole thread it sounds like you've already decided on the Jamis. Get it, upgrade the fork when you can. Both are overpriced, but maybe that's just by US standards.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just want to know which one has better specs and is overall better readardless of the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dayrider, fellow Kiwi here. The following NZ website has a sale on the Rockshox Recon Silver and Gold. The Recon Silver would make that Boulder trail worthy.

Bicycle - rockshox sale

If I were you I'd consider spending a little more and looking at maybe the Talon? Whereabouts in NZ are you based? Evolution Cycles have had some wicked deals the past couple of months. Check them out:

Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Kids Bikes, Bike Accessories, Bike Helmets, Bike Parts - Evolutioncycles.co.nz | Online Mountain Bike Shop NZ - Buy Mountain Bikes Online NZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes I have looked at that site. But sadly I only have 600-700 to buy a bike so these two bikes are. The only I can afford. But please answer my question which bike is better? I really need a answer. (I don't mind replacing the forks)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you have a chance to test ride them? That review of the Jamis was pretty positive. In all honesty I don't know much about them but doubt you'd go wrong with either at this price point.

Test riding them is the only way to test what feels better for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1-100 scale both are in the 40s, 60s with a recon silver. A 29er Boulder would be higher with a new fork. In the US there are no longer any 26 ht bikes at LBS. Everything hardtail is 29 because of the ease of bump roll over. Negotiate for a Boulder 29 for 700. You guys are going into the off season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    1-100 scale both are in the 40s, 60s with a recon silver. A 29er Boulder would be higher with a new fork. In the US there are no longer any 26 ht bikes at LBS. Everything hardtail is 29 because of the ease of bump roll over. Negotiate for a Boulder 29 for 700. You guys are going into the off season.
    ?? All of the shops in my area still have HT 26'ers. I just bought two 26 HT's from Airborne. They are all over the place. Just because your LBS doesn't have any 26 HT's, doesn't mean anything except your LBS doesn't have any 26 HT's.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    ?? All of the shops in my area still have HT 26'ers. I just bought two 26 HT's from Airborne. They are all over the place. Just because your LBS doesn't have any 26 HT's, doesn't mean anything except your LBS doesn't have any 26 HT's.
    Yep my LBS still has a bunch of them too but they're not really discounting them vs the 29er's so they're not shifting them. Damn fools!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    buy a used bike. get a high end bike 2-3 years old vs a new low end bike imho. Not sure how used market in NZ is though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Please answer my question which is better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast