1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Another Newbee with help finding the right ride

I have recently been hooked by mountain biking. I moved to Arizona from Chicago a few years ago so all the riding I had done was on the tough trails of Chicago's paved streets.

I want to buy a new bike, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying a beginner bike that I may grow out of within a few months. I'm prepared to spend around $2300.00, but I have no idea what brands are good or not.

Can someone give me an idea of what direction to head?

I'm planning a trip in a month to ride some trails in Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, and Colorado. I imagine the trails I'll be riding will need a good bike. I like to ride rough trials with a lot of downhill jumps and bumps.

Thank you for any help you can give.

ride hard take risks
    Well welcome to MTB'ing sounds like you have some great riding ahead.
    Best bang for the buck two brand Ibex Asta & Jamis Dakar, Ibex has the advantage.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_xlt2.html

Then you get into the big manufacture name brands.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11267

You will notice on the major name the price goes up but the components are not as good as the Ibex or even the Jamis.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you for the links. I was wondering what you thought about a new rider buying a bike that is too much bike. Is it possible that a bike be too much that it actually hinders a beginners ride?

ride hard take risks
    I feel it depends on your experience, if you have ridden in the past BMX urban then you have the skills. If it's the first bike ever then your in over your head on your trip. Your trip sounds like a great adventure & i would go with a full suspension bike, much more comfortable. If you plan to continue your riding & enjoying the trails & you can afford a quality bike & components go for it. Cheaper to buy quality now rather then replace parts later. The Ibex Asta is a fantastic bike with great components & you still have money left to take me with you.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Well welcome to MTB'ing sounds like you have some great riding ahead.
    Best bang for the buck two brand Ibex Asta & Jamis Dakar, Ibex has the advantage.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/06_xlt2.html

Then you get into the big manufacture name brands.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11267

You will notice on the major name the price goes up but the components are not as good as the Ibex or even the Jamis.

Try to avoid something to heavy or too light.

Look for 4-6" travel.

Possibilities:

Giant Trance or Reign
    Cannondale Prophet
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR or Enduro
    Kona Dawg or CoilAir
    Ibex Apogee
    Jamis Dakar XLT

I would not say that many brands are "better" than other brands. Most/all companies make great products, you just need to try and find which design works best for you.

Take a trip to some shops, test a few bikes out, and try and find what feels right.

Sure, you can get too much bike. Something with too much travel could be heavy, and would be a hinderance on the climbs. Something with too little travel will be very light, but durability will be comprimised. You could buy a $4000 racing machine, but it could be a poor choice for your planned application.

Often, people like to argue that it is best to start on a hardtail bike. This will teach you how to develop you skills more, by forcing you to pick better lines, rather than floating over everything with your 6" of travel, making you a smoother rider. However, many people do make the move to full suspension after a while.
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-02-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibbons
    I have recently been hooked by mountain biking. I moved to Arizona from Chicago a few years ago so all the riding I had done was on the tough trails of Chicago's paved streets.

I want to buy a new bike, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying a beginner bike that I may grow out of within a few months. I'm prepared to spend around $2300.00, but I have no idea what brands are good or not.

Can someone give me an idea of what direction to head?

I'm planning a trip in a month to ride some trails in Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, and Colorado. I imagine the trails I'll be riding will need a good bike. I like to ride rough trials with a lot of downhill jumps and bumps.

Thank you for any help you can give.
    I can tell you that you will get a lot of opinions on this one. There is no substitute for test riding a bike before buying.

That said, you should look at the Yeti. The 575 is a great all around bike that is also light. The 575 Enduro build can be found new for $2200 to $2400 depending on where you go. Check out www.fullcycles.com and talk to Will. Tell him your budget and he can fix you up. Also check out here: http://www.go-ride.com/prod_frames_yeti.html

I have been doing research on what I want my next bike to be and the Yeti is hard to beat.

As far as your other question about getting too much bike, I wouldn't worry about it if you are going with an All Mountain trailbike. Better to get too much that you will be able to grow into than to get too little and later want something better.

If you have a Yeti dealer in your area I suggest a test ride.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks to all of you

I wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. All of you comments have been great. It can feel like dealing with a used car salesman when walking into a bike store without a little help.

There's no app for this.

Since you're in AZ

Call Titusti.com and look at the Motolite. Made in AZ by AZonians for AZ riding. Excellent bikes, and well worth a look. sorry, pricing I do not know.

They are in Tempe, you can eve shoot over to the shop and talk to the real builders and riders.

Jim

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Call Titusti.com and look at the Motolite. Made in AZ by AZonians for AZ riding. Excellent bikes, and well worth a look. sorry, pricing I do not know.

They are in Tempe, you can eve shoot over to the shop and talk to the real builders and riders.

Jim
    He said $2300 not $3300...

Yasco
    May 2006
    I'm looking for similar, around $2000 and I really liked Santacruz Superligt - if you buy "R XC Complete" it is slightly under $2000 - check here http://www.santacruzbikes.com/superl....php?builder=1 under "Completes"
    around 27 lbs, nice components

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I decided to go up a little more in price and purchased the Santa Cruz Blur XC. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to enjoying the bike and the newly found activity of mountain biking.

Thanks again

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibbons
    I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I decided to go up a little more in price and purchased the Santa Cruz Blur XC. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to enjoying the bike and the newly found activity of mountain biking.

Thanks again
    That is a very sweet bike, post some pics when you get it!!