1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

another new/old guy

Hey everyone. i'm trying to get back into mtbing. been out of the game for about 12 years(i know, way 2 long but at least i'm coming back) alot has changed. i rode a giant and a specialized back then. unfortunately sold both of them. i checked the lbs and looks like my choices are a janis, giant and trek. all are around the $500 range. the giant seem to have the better components and i really liked the giant i used to ride. i am leaning towards the giant(yukon model). anyone have any advice on any of those models?

thanks
    jeff

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Welcome to mtbr. Cycling is a great sport, even for us old guys.

Most will advise that those bikes are all comparable; you should get the one that's most comfortable; and you get what you pay for.

If you don't need lbs support and they offer one in your size, check out the Forge Sawback if you want to save a buck. It's simular to the yukon except it has a 9-speed drivetrain and better shifters. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...05607#poststop

Hardbooter
    All though mail-order will save you money, I believe it's pretty priceless to be able to go to a brick and mortar store and tell them there's a problem, and have them adjust the bike for free.

I've actually got an aunt with a Yukon, and she's had it since at least 2002, and it's a really fun and solid bike.

Try every single bike within your price range. Don't rule any out. You'll be happier in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Join the club!

Yeah the Sawback is a good option for the amount you want to spend.Also check out the Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 and Mongoose Amasa Elite if you can stretch your budget to $600.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...97&PID=1204522

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the input guys. that gives me some more options. i like the iron horse and the mongoose. the problem with ordering 1 is you dont relly know how it will feel and ride until you get it. if anybody has any experience with any of these bikes feel free to share.

Hardbooter
    Other people's opinion of fit and ride are generally useless unless you're physiologically the same.

Just ride as many bikes as possible at a local bike shop that are in your budget. Don't discredit those that are cheaper, you may like them better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Amasa is definitely more bike than the others - much better fork and better components all the way around. Wonder what that bike weighs?

Performance usually has 10-20 discount codes and free shipping to their stores. Check out the "Where are the best deals" forum for codes...

Hardbooter
    Yeah, if there's a local Performance Bike, it's a great option. You'll also be able to try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks again guys. i think i've narrowed it down to the either the yukon or the mongoose. i'm going to the performance store in Atl to look at the mongoose.either tomorrow or thur. i might also look at the giant xtc2 if they will come down off the price any.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Performance has a few different locations around Atl. Calling the stores to see if they stock your size may save you some gas. In case you haven't seen it, there is an active thread in Bike and Frame forum discussing that mongoose and some of their other bikes that are on sale. MTB bike buying advice needed

The only thing I have purchased from them is accessories, but others have mentioned something about a membership where you earn credits for future purchases and get discounts. If it's 20%, that would go a long way towards a helmet, hydration, pump, shorts..... Also, I know they honor the web prices because I saved a couple bucks on some tires that way. I found their house brand helmet (accent?) to be as comfortable as the more expensive ones. YMMV.
    Last edited by rlouder; 08-12-2008 at 10:23 AM.