1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Another new to mtbr got my first bike thread!

Long time lurker first time posting. After following the advice of many on this forum I found a nice used bike to get me started. Hopefully it's not too old to be useful. I found a mint condition 2001 trek 6700 with disc brakes for 320. Bike also came with spare set of road tires, 2 water bottle brackets, topeak mini blaster. The seller threw in a set of clip pedals and specialized shoes that happened to be my size. Bike was wasting away in their garage. What do I have to do to get started? Should I take the bike to LBS for a tuneup? Do it myself? Or just get out and ride? Probably should buy a helmet too! How did I do? Will post a pic soon!

mtbr member
    Definitely get a helmet. Get one while you take the bike in to an lbs for a check/tune up. Even if you're mechanically inclined you can probably learn a little from taking into the shop. It will also give you a chance to start a relationship with them or see if you want to.
    Either way, get out and ride! Have fun!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    nothing wrong with an older used bike... I bought a trashed 97 specialized rockhopper at a garage sale for $5 and rebuilt it..... tune/helmet then ride