1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Another new guy needing help

Ok so I decided to get into this now that I'm back in America and I don't know what I'm doing besides getting a bike and I need help like all noobs so any and all help will be great. Also I'm not sure if it helps but I'm 5ft 8 in and 204 lbs (using this so i can get down to 180). So yea any tips and hint i can get to not only my first bike but, through some great trails i would be ever much appreciative.

Level 5 Rider!
    If you want new then if you can manage it try for the $1000+ mark (for a hardtail). Better components and more likely to be happy with it for a bit longer than otherwise. If you can't then you might want to consider a used bike. If this is how you are going to do it then a friend who is more experienced may help.

Learn about proper fit. Look it up online so that you get a bike that is the right size for yourself. Make sure the components are sound and everything is running how it should.

Most importantly is how the bike feels. An expensive bike that feels wrong is a waste of money, get something that feels good to you.

If two bikes feel good and you are on the fence then bring it up on the forums and let the commentators decide which is the better bike. lol.

Good luck!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    yea i just got my truck so im goin to used route lol do bike shops sell used bikes? or am i stuck with craigs list?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearzerker View Post
    yea i just got my truck so im goin to used route lol do bike shops sell used bikes? or am i stuck with craigs list?
    It depends on the bike shop, some of them do sell used bikes but most of them don't.

mtbr member
    We cannot help you if we don't know what you want or need. Check out the NOOB Buyer's Guide here in the Beginner's Corner. If you can answer the questions in there then people can help you better. Wmac put it together and it has good information in it.